How long did it take you to become good at breastfeeding?

IT takes me and baby like 10 minutes to get a good latch..is baby or am I going to get better at it as he gets older?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! It's something you both have to learn how to do, once you get the hang of it it's second nature. Hang in there!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• it took my third child who was an angel at BFing...my other 2 were awful BFers and I didn't last long...bad info and support...it gets better with experience and age of the child
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:34 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I was very lucky and the nurse showing me the "c-hold" for my nipple, and telling me to aim the nipple at the TOP of his mouth - not the center, was all the help I needed.
    However, even that was something I had to learn! Breastfeeding can come totally naturally to some people, but there are PLENTY who need some help with holds, techniques, and even unique challenges. Don't get discouraged!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:38 PM on May. 19, 2009

• it takes at least a few weeks to really get the hang of it...I had it pretty easy, my son was a pro from the first latch.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:57 PM on May. 19, 2009

• At least 3-4 weeks.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:01 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It depends on the baby. My dd caught on pretty quick thankfully. Just keep practicing and don't give up! :) In the end it will be well worth it! The lactation consultant really helped me and my dd getting started. I know our hospital always said we could call the lc even after discharge. You may be able to do the same. Otherwise you can always contact your local La Leche League.
    rebeccasmommy09

Answer by rebeccasmommy09 at 5:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It will get better! With my first, it took a couple of months, with my 2nd it was a couple of weeks. It really helped me to go to a La Leche League meeting.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It took me like 4 months to get confident and "good" at it. But I had a butt load of problems that really complicated it. DD had tounge tie, food allergies (to things I was eating), and I had been in a coma for 3 days and so she was formula fed then. So it really took some work and patience but so worth it in the end. 4 months was nothing compared to the 28 months I've nursed her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It takes practice for the both of you. The more you do it, the better it will get for both of you.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My baby is almost 4 months old and I still don't feel like a pro. However, it has gotten a whole lot better. Now that he is older we can try different positions. In the beginning I wanted to give up. My nipples hurt so bad, neither one of us just couldn't get it right. So I started using a nipple shield and that helped tons! The thing is, he is so used to it now, I have to use it every time. But that's ok, my baby enjoys nursing and I do to. As long as you baby gets his Momma's milk it doesn't matter how. Good luck and hang in there!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 10:33 PM on May. 19, 2009