When do you move a baby from a crib to a toddler bed?

My son is about to be a year old and he's climbing up everything. He hasn't figured out how to get out of his crib yet, but I'm worried about when he does because it will be a high fall.
I'm sure it's different with different children, but I'm just wondering what's the average or when did you make the transition?
Thanks for your input in advance!

MicahsMom612

Asked by MicahsMom612 at 4:15 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We never moved them to a toddler bed.

We went from the crib to a regular bed at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• most children do end up falling out of their crib. I put my son in a toddler bed at the age of 16 months. He had already started climbing out at that time. I put him to bed one night and then I went to bed and I woke up to my son standing right in front of my face at the edge of my bed. Scared the living hell out of me. I went the next day and bought him a toddler bed and he has been in it since. He is now 3.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:20 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My son went from his crib to a bed at 18 months.That's when he discovered that he could climb out.I went to walmart and got a side guard in case he rolled over.So he wouldn't fall off.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My Daughter was around 15 months,
    I skipped the toddler bed, whadda waste,
    and i bought a twin, with rails!
    Anonymous