How bad is high stress to my baby in my womb?

My husband is going to be going thru a major chest reconstruction surgery. And I am really scared, nervous, A lil of every emotion possible. I am wondering how its going to affect the baby.

CoAlMiNerMoMmY

Asked by CoAlMiNerMoMmY at 4:44 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• high stress can cause preterm labor and pre eclampsia
    but that would be over a period of time not jsut one day , i wouldjust suggest relaxing and trying not to stress
    Anonymous

• My mom died in a car accident when I was 10 weeks pregnant.

He's now 5 years old.

Just remember, you have someone depending on you now. You'll do just fine! And my thoughts with you all through the surgery.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Babies can sense your stress when they are in the womb. It can cause pre-eclampsia and preterm labor like the first poster said, and it can also cause the baby's growth to slow. Babies who's mothers were stressed during pregnancy are also known to be more irritable infants. However, as far as I know, there aren't any birth defects or MAJOR problems linked to stress during pregnancy. I would just try and take it easy. Of course you are going to stress out but just remember that stressing does nothing to help the situation or make anything better. Relaxing yourself and being calm is the best thing you can do for yourself, your husband, and your baby. Everything will be fine. :)
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:55 PM on May. 19, 2009