SAHM- Why does it seem like they are so unhappy?

I am one myself and I get down for no reason and it seems like everyone that I know that is a SAHM is the same way! Why is this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• i'm not unhappy! at times I wish I had a job to chip in more financially, but i'm not unhappy
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would be unhappy if I had to adult contact except play dates talking to your local cashier at walmart and being a slave to my family- Your job is one of the HARDEST and selfless things to do, I would rather work at tacobell than have to indure EVERY stress every fight and every second with my kid and my husband....
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 4:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't know many that are. I am SAHM and very happy. I do get bored sometimes so that may be why. I just try to keep busy and keep a schedule and it makes me feel like I am doing something other then just sitting around waiting for DH to get home. I also have a sea world pass so we go there a lot to have fun. We play outside,go to the park. Just keeping busy and active will make you happier. It does me.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 4:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think sometimes it has to do with the lack of adult interaction. I love being with my son all day...and I wouldn't have it any other way. But sometimes I do miss being around other adults, like when I worked, being able to converse and exchange more advanced ideas. Mental stimulation is something we do need to be happy and healthy.
    My DH always jokes to people that I follow him around the house when he gets home b/c I need to speak with another adult so badly. LOL.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My gut reaction, lack of events. Going to work you 1. get out of the house, 2. interact with other adults, 3. interact with hubby and kids when you get home, 4. have a clear "weekend". When you tay at home it all blurs together. You need to get out on play dates or with friends get a break from the kids, and have something different a day or two of each week. It gets tiring being in the same setting all the time.
    Anonymous

• I think it's bc I'm so broke I am pretty much stuck at home. On days I do get out I am so much happier.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 5:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I stay at home and I am not unhappy. I feel fortunate to stay at home with my little guys. I do sometimes feel like I need to get out but my husband understands and I do something for me.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Alot of times its because we dont get out of the house. We do the same thing day after day. We dont get a break from kids or housework making dinner nothing like that. We dont have a job where we can get away from everyone for even just a few hours.I get so happy just when im about to go to walmart to go get food to make for dinner. Or when my SO forgets to do something on his way home from work i jump at it so i can get out of the hosue and do something different.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think the easiest way to say it is that we get burnt out! If your hubs was working 80 hours per week on his job, you wouldn't be surprised if he got burnt out. We're on the job 24/7/365. We just need breaks and adult interaction like everyone else!
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm not a SAHM but I have had periods of my life when I was working reduced hours or using up vacation time between jobs, and I can tell you that I get depressed when I'm at home alone for more than three or four days at a time. I have no motivation to do anything and I just sit on the couch watching Food Network all day. I'm just one of those people that needs to have a lot of things to do to fill my day--I know SAHMs do a lot, but I need a different kind of structure and I definitely need a lot of adult interaction. I love my son more than life itself, and I hate leaving him every morning, but I think I would become clinically depressed if I had to stay home with him all day.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 6:15 PM on May. 19, 2009