for women that smoked through pregnancy

did breathing in labor hurt-burn-or was it hard? did you have to be on oxygen?
I want to know if it causes more problems than low birth weight-was it harder on your breathing because of the smoking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Depending on how far along you are depends on if you can and should stop. If your over 12 weeks you can actually cause the baby more problems if you quit cold turkey then just cutting back to maybe 3 aday. Yeah your kid is still getting the toxic from the cigs but its a hell of alot better then having a miscarriage because you quit cold turkey. I also know a girl that found out she was preg and quit cold turkey and her daughter was 2 months premature. The doctor told her if she would have slowly cut down to nothing her daughter would have been premmie... My suggestion talk to your doctor if your worried....
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 6:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No. Breathing through labor wasn't hard or painful in any way. Just remember to relax and you'll do fine.
    Anonymous

• Breathing was fine and easy. 9lbs and 9oz isn't low birthweight either so I'd have to say smoking didn't effect my baby.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was 7lbs 2oz 19 1/2in when she was born and i didn't smoke with her. My sil smoked with her daughter thru her whole pregnancy and her daughter was 7lbs 2oz 19in so i don't think smoking really makes a difference. I think small babys are just gonna be small no matter if the mother smokes or not... I didn't delievery vagianl so i can't help you with the breathing but just wanted to comment on the weight thing. Even my mom smoked with me and i was 7lbs 14oz 21 1/2in long and i'm fine now at 23yrs old. :)
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 5:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• The carcinogens can harm your baby, and the smoke can make it difficult for them to breathe. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but I smoked at least a half a pack a day before I got pregnant, and I stopped cold turkey. You can do it too, and you should. the least of my concerns were whether or not I could breathe easily during labor...my concerns were that...would my selfishishness hurt my baby?
    Anonymous

• How about if you just quit? Sorry to sound harsh, but when you become a mother it's not really about you anymore. For people who think smoking while pregnant doesn't make a difference, I beg to differ. It's toxic poison. Why would you do that to your child? It's abusive if you ask me. Please, contact your doctor or a support group and quit.
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 5:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My doctor told me to quit, and I did...cold turkey. that was when I was about 3 weeks along, and I'm now five months pregnant with a very healthy baby. If nothing else, at least cut down. Throwing your hands up and just deciding not to quit should not be your decision. I think it was easier for me because once I found out that I was having this baby, nothing could make me harm it. The baby comes first, and alway will.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:12 AM on May. 20, 2009