Do you know how to cook?

Do u know how to cook? If so, who taught you or how did you learn? If not, why don't u know how to cook? Who does the cooking? How do you get by if you are a single mother and don't cook? I'm asking because I'm 22 and have a 5 month old. I don't know how to cook but I would like to learn. Can I still learn how to cook at this age? How old were you when you started to cook?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I sure do know how to cook and I cook well. I learned how to cook from my Italian greatgrandmother and grandmother and have been cooking since I was about 5 or 6 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• You can totally learn to cook, you might end up loving it. I had to learn how to cook again when I was in my mid 20's because my husband got diabetes and I had to learn to cook whole and healthy foods.
    Anonymous

• Yes I know how to cook I pretty much just follow the recipe I am lucky though DH is a chef so when he is home he cooks :)

Yes you can learn never to late

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 5:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• G-ma taught me how to cook at a very young age and I'm so happy she did now I'm teaching my kids my oldest is 12 and cooks. You can learn start with simple dishes the types of foods you like to eat ..
    Anonymous

• Heh. I left home at 22 and am still learning how to cook 3 years later (no one showed me anything other than how to read a box). What is scary is I do all the cooking. I find casseroles are the easiest thing for me to do since it is like baking a cake and baking is the only thing cooking related I do well.

So, yeah, I'll put it out there. I am 25 and still am not a good cook. I burn things a lot or over/under season... My son is going to have an iron stomach though and my fiance is learning to get use to it. LOL
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 5:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I've been cooking for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid we were handed paring knifes to peel potatoes or something else. I learned from My Mom, Grandma, and sister. I could make a cake from scratch by the time I was 10. I was cooking full family meals for 7 people at 12 yrs old. My Mom had to go back to work and my father ran off. No choice. Dh likes my cooking, my son begs me to teach his wife how to cook his favorites so it's certainly fine for around here. My DIL is 21 and she is learning so I don't see why not. I took a pastry coarse at CC a few years ago. Never too old to learn.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• A basic betty Crocker cookbook is good because it actually shows cuts of meat and defines things like braising. It is the red and white checked cookbook. Don't be afraid to try new things. I love my crockpot and use it all the time for me and my dd's dinner. Their is a crockpot group on here and recipe groups. It's never too late to learn to cook. when you cook put a bowl on the counter and throw all scraps/trash in it while cooking then you can keep you counters neater. I like to use a paperplate as a cutting board if Im only cutting a few carrots or something. I also buy a small veggie tray so i don't have to buy a whole bundle of broccoli or celery for a recipe. I may need celery for a recipe, so I eat the carrots for lunch and steam the broccoli for dinner...lots of variety..its cut and clean and you may be more likely to eat veggies.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I learned to cook and bake at a very young age.

My husband enjoys cooking so he does the majority of it He's great at improvising! I do cook sometimes but I love to bake more than cook.
    Anonymous

• Sweetie! I am 25 years old and I am CLUELESS on cooking!!! So dont feel bad! LOL Starting this year I have attempted to fix that! My hubby does all the cooking in our house but occasionally he isnt home in time so I HAVE to cook! I use the internet more than ever! And if I fail, I keep trying! Cook books, in my eyes, SUCK!!! But you can always get online and ask others, also ask family for any suggestions! Sorry! check out betty crocker.com and cooks.com they help me a LOT!!! Plus sometimes you have to go outside of your comfort zone and just try new things, even if it fails! Just always have some peanut butter and jelly as a back up, in case things get too bad! Good luck! If you friend me, I can share recipes with you too! That would be fun!!! I LOVE to cook, I just dont know how to very much, but Im learning! LOL
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 5:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My grandma taught me but I also watched alot of Food Network too!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:11 PM on May. 19, 2009