What would be cheaper? Flying or Driving

I plan on going to Denver from Chicago in September. I would only have to pay for 1 airline ticket since my husband won't be joining us my daughter will be 9 months old by then. I researched how much it would be for a plane ticket it will be 209.19 and for the car rental it would be 204.03. But I don't know how to figure out how much it would be for gas if I take my own car. Its 1010.79 miles and approx a 15hr trip, which would you do? I want to rent a car so I can go visit my friends AND family without having to borrow or a car or depend on someone else to take me.

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 5:14 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Travel

• Listen to my voice or reason (called learning the hard way)......I took 3 kids from MI to MN on a train. My husband said to fly, but I wanted to save money. What I went through in time, delays because of the train, and just kids being kids behavior did not come close to the price difference. My kids were almost 6, almost 1, and 4. It was grueling,hard, and I was going crazy. So fly--do yourself the favor!! That is my best advice in this situation. Good luck!  Not to mention if you drive, are alone and in need of help.........no one will be there as fast as you could want and need them.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I also would fly and rent a car when I got there. 15 hours on the road with just you and your baby is a long time. You could possibly make it in one day, but to be safe you'd probably need to stay overnight somewhere along the way adding the cost of a hotel/motel to your trip. Also, I think you'd probably come out ahead flying anyway since you're only buying one ticket.

If your car gets 25 MPG and gas cost $3 per gallon then it would cost you approximately $120 for gas one way, or $240 round trip, and if you add on a motel room you'll be adding at least $75 each way for a total of $390 just for gas and motel.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Another thought: gas prices are expected to increase again, so you might really save by locking in a low price plane ticket early. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Denver probably has iGo; this can be cheaper than renting a car and there is a $75 coupon available through the CTA (I live in Chicago, too)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on May. 20, 2009

• fly. it costs money to park in Chicago. they have a great mass transit system
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:59 AM on May. 20, 2009