How should I handle this? How would you?

My son is 2 years old, he will be 3 in October! Sometimes he is the sweetest little guy in the world, other times he is not so much! He has this 'little temper' occasionally he will hit! How do I get him to stop and to let him know that it is not nice to hit? Also, sometimes he bites his older sister... how do I get him to stop doing that as well... and how do I discipline him for these things since he is 2 years old!

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 5:14 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter aslo does these things, i suppose its the age. When she hits or bites i go over to her and get down to her level look her in the eye and tell her thats not nice, and it hurts, I than walk her over to the corner and she stands there for a minute. When all is done i give her a big hug and tell her i love her and find her something to do like a toy or her favorite book. I also would have to disagree about the hitting personaly, I think that by hitting them back it well probably confuses them. Also you just have to be very persistant with the punishment if you do it and than the next time you dont punish her, she will not learn. It will take some time, I hope that i helped you out a little.
    proudmomma325

Answer by proudmomma325 at 8:37 AM on May. 21, 2009

• well time outs are good. 1 minute per year old he is so 2 minutes in the corner would work. tell him hitting and biting is not nice. put him in time out each time he does it. remember though, this is the age for this kind of stuff. you do need to let him know that that type of behavior is not acceptable though in 2 year old terms. its "not nice" would be good to say. its going to take a long time for him to understand it though but sooner or later he will get it. good luck!
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 5:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I diciplin my boy by slapping his hands. I'm being hard on him when he do something wrong,so he know it's wrong,and I'm serious about it.
    He is 18 months now, but he understand completely on what is 'not suppose to do'. He cried sometimes, but then I hold him thight,so he realized that I love him so much, but I don't tolerate his bad behaviour.
    I know some moms don't want to hurt their baby. And I don't want to hurt my son too. But slapping hands or bottom,isn't causing any internal damages. And these little monsters need to be fix,so they grow up with good manner.
    ChristianaChen

Answer by ChristianaChen at 5:27 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My 20 month old DD does that too. I slap her hands lightly, she gets the point. It doesn't hurt her, just her feelings! Biting, she was a big biter, I would tap her mouth, but, that didn't work. So I lightly bit her, didn't even leave teeth marks, and she NEVER bit again! My DD is extremely hot tempered and throws her fits, but, she knows when mommy means business. It won't hurt to lightly tap your child so they understand what is going on.
    Ari0825

Answer by Ari0825 at 6:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I disagree with the slapping of the hands. Are we trying to teach our kids that hitting is ok? When you retaliate by slapping thier hands, that is what you are teaching them. I would let them know that that behavior will not be tolerated. Put them in time out and once they are out make them say sorry or touch them "nicely" with a hug. By putting them in time out, you are taking them out of the controlling behavior they are exhibiting through violence. They will get the point.
    irockhardkorps

Answer by irockhardkorps at 2:37 PM on May. 20, 2009

• you know... I have CONSIDERED slapping of the hands... but it just seems like it would confuse the child! I mean... slapping his hand because he is hitting...??? Doesnt make sense! The time out stuff doesnt really work... he just laughs, or plays in time out, which is in a corner on a tall chair... who knows... my daughter was NEVER this difficult! Ugh!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 7:02 PM on May. 20, 2009