I Don't understand how mothers can use the word "Retard"

especially when refering to stupid people. What do you think do you find this offensive or is it okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that that words meaning gets forgotten until you say it at the wrong time, or around the wrong people... it doesnt make it right and im not trying to excuse that behavior but its so commenly excepted in our society- they will change there attitudes when they are blessed with a disabled child
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:38 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Now that I am pregnant, I have found it much more offensive than I used to. I think it is because I do not know if my baby is retarded or not, I didn't have the testing done, so I am sticking up for my baby who could be retarded. I simply call stupid people idiots. I think calling someone a "retard" is hurtful and disrespectful. Anyone who has a family member, friend, or child with disabilities can vouch for that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:38 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It is offensive and a slur against anyone with a disability. I have a beautiful son with Down syndrome. He is a joy and a delight. He is mildly retarded. He is NOT a retard. He is not defined by his disability. People should grow up and expand their language skills.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 5:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I try not to use the word at all, but it does not bother me. I think most people do not understand how offensive it can be to someone with a special needs child. When I was younger, I said it to my friends many times. It was just what we said and we didn't know it was offensive to anyone else. Honestly, I don't even know what the politically correct term is now. It's taken me months to try to use the term special needs instead of disabled or handicapped. I'm still struggling with that.

Unless someone is obviously using it to be offensive, I don't see any reason to get upset. All you can do is try to spread awareness.
    Anonymous

• I used to say it lightheartedly when I was a kid about stupid people, places, things... I think it was just a fad back then. Now I am horrified if it slips out of my mouth or someone around me because while we may mean it in jest, we would NEVER want to offend someone with a child (or themselves) with a disability. I think it needs to stop asap.

RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• it annoys me when people use the word towards people..but to say something is retarded doesnt bother me.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I understand kids saying it. But mothers /adults who know better I have a problem with especially using it to reference stupidity because people with mental handicaps are NOT stupid

Anonymous

• It is a word and only has as much power as you give it. I have a mentally retarded brother. I am still not bothered when I hear something is retarded or friends call each other that. As long as they are not actually making fun of someone with a disability it does not matter to me.
    Anonymous

• I hate the word and try not to use it. I have to use it sometimes for professional reasons describing a particular condition. But that too is changing. It is now being more accepted to say someone is differently abled rather than saying they are retarded.
    Anonymous

• i think words are just words.. im guilty of saying it. but i do watch who i say it to.. i wouldnt sayu it to a mother with a mentally handicapped child , its mores of something you say among friends... and im not saying its RIGHT... but it was said a lot as i was a teen and certian things just stick
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:29 PM on May. 19, 2009