how can i quit smoking or atleast slow down?

hi im tasha and i have a huge problem with smoking and im 6 monthes pregnant and so far the baby is ok and developing well but i know its bad for my health and the babys. when i get realy stressed sad scared or mad or anything like that i light one up and when im realy in those moods it isnt just one and i feel like a horrible mom and havent even had the baby yet!!!my babys daddy is getting realy fustrated with me and i understand but the real bad part is i dont even think i inhale it its just like a comfort zone for me i dont know it isnt like i get tickles in my throught for a ciggeret or anything liket hat i just get stressed and light one up!!! the baby is fine and heart beat rate is fine it weights like it need to be but im getting scared for my health and my babys!!! i wont smoke around the baby when i have it but still i dont want my baby to look at me badly and i want my health to be better so i can live longer!!!

Tbaby61727

Asked by Tbaby61727 at 5:32 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What me and my husband do because im the same way. Is he would leave me 3 a day and we would share one that night. We did that for 2 weeks then it went down to where he would leave me 2 a day for 2 weeks and share one at night then it went down to 1 a day and we would share one. Thats how i was able to cut back i still havnt quit yet but i just have to have my one in the morning and share one with him at night. I have gotten worse agian because he keeps leaving the pack at the house and i know where it is so its gone back up agian but im working on going back down to just the one agian. Try this and see how it works for you. Good luck
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i feel pretty lucky! before I even knew I was preggo...my body just didnt want ciggies anymore. I mean the receptors in my brain even told me not to pick em up...something just WASNT right. i took a test a week later and I was pregnant! I was able to quit cold turkey over night...then 3 months PP I started up again AAARGH. not that easy for others of course. I know I'd have trouble quitting again. I'm trying, and have ordered a free sample of nicotine gum ...good start I think. I dont think those options like nicotine gum are safe for pregnant women...I have no clue...sorry. maybe try www.kellymom.com for info on quitting? try replacing ciggies with jolly ranchers?
    Anonymous

• They sell fake ciggs at Kmart- they look real, even have a smell to them my thing was I had to have SOMTHING in between my fingers or in my mouth-so I would hold on to the "cig" and pop a jolly rancher! I still have the occasional break down and smoke but I short it and stick it in a soda can so I cant get stupid and pull it out of the ash tray later!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:43 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Um.. sorry to sound harsh, but you need to quit cold turkey, right now. People will try to tell you that smoking while pregnant isn't bad, but come on, it's toxic poison that you're putting into your body as well as your baby's. When you become a mother, it's not about you anymore. Your baby comes first, and you need to do everything in your power to create a safe and healthy environment for your child (even before he/she is born). Please, for the sake of your baby, talk to your doctor about this, or contact a support group that can help you quit.
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 5:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It might be hard, but the trust is...and we all know it....it's NOT impossible to quit. All you have to do is just NOT do it. I was a fairly heavy smoker before pregnancy....of cigarettes AND marijuana. I quit both cold turkey. Sure I get stressed...some days I want a cigarette SO badly. But...the longer I go without one, the easier it is. The guilt I feel is not worth the cigarette. There will be a lot of sacrifices in motherhood, and this is just the beginning. the way I look at it also is...smoking is bad for MY health too...this little baby inside of me may just one day save my life by truly giving me a reason to quit.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:17 AM on May. 20, 2009