dog pee!

Im having company over for memorial day and i want to open up my huge basement problem is, my dogs go to the basement when we leave and they pee and poop everywhere down there. the smell is atrocious!!!! i want to show my home off but i dont wanna gross people out or for them to think im dirty! how can i at least tone the smell down a good bit? i know i wont be able to get rid of it completely until i redo the floors but i need something!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Vinegar helps. I had a room with cement floors that I used to put our dogs in and they would occasionally pee or poop in there. I used vinegar and arm & Hammer powder laundry detergent with a push broom as a big scrub brush, then hosed it out. Hopefully your basement is cement and has a drain! 

DON'T USE BLEACH. You will all have to evacuate the house until the fumes are gone, and I have NO IDEA how long that takes, but I'd say days or longer.

MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 7:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i know there are cleaners out there that are specially made for getting the smell of dog pee and poop out of carpet. i dont know the name right now but i will find out and let you know asap. if anything you could always google it
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 5:46 PM on May. 19, 2009

• After cleaning your basement, maybe you should invest in dog crates. The dogs will not pee/poop where they have to sleep ... thus helping with your doggie issue.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Clean them with bleach. Even if they are carpets put a little in the shampooer

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 6:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• That is really NOT a good thing for your pets to just piss and poop all over! The bacteria that floats around there CAN get into the household ventilation! If it is possible you need to keep your dogs OUTSIDE or train them to go on a potty pad! I dont even let my dogs fill the back yard with poop! You have some major cleaning to do and I hope you dont let it get that bad again because it is NOT healthy for your pets or your family! If you cannot take care of your pets because your gone so much maybe they would be better off in a home & yard where they can be taken care of!
    chelley24

Answer by chelley24 at 4:22 PM on May. 20, 2009

• white vinegar works pretty good to kill the odor, but then you have to wash out the pickle smell lol
    gidget1988

Answer by gidget1988 at 5:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Depending on the type of floors, use bleach on cement or hardwood. For carpets, use a steam cleaner & Out!. It's like Shout except for pets. You can get it at Walmart in the pet section. Put some in a spray bottle & pretreat. Then add some with the shampoo to the steam cleaner.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:03 AM on May. 21, 2009