Given the economy where its at do you think its a good time to try to conceive?

We have been married six years and we are thinking about trying but Im nervous. I worry that something will go wrong. Any words of wisdom??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Our son is 1 y/o and we both have the baby bug. But I think we're going to wait until next spring because of many reasons, finances is one of them. We have our son in day care part-time and it would be difficult paying twice as much. I would be able to pay it with my check (work part-time), however we use my check for day care and groceries, so bye-bye money for groceries! Second reason is I don't know if I could handle having a newborn and a 2 year old. Our son probably wouldn't be potty trained by then, so that means 2 in diapers. So we'll wait and see what next year brings. If we're in the same position, then oh well, we'll start trying!

Talk about it with your DH ... just remember that there are many *hidden* costs to childcare, such as numerous doctor appointments (paying copays), expense of the birth itself, if you plan on formula feeding (cost of formula) and diapers.

Good luck!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I dont think it has as much to do with the current economy, as it does your own personal finances and security. If you know you have a reliable income and are stable financially, i dont see any reason NOT to have a baby.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Personally, I think the only person who is financially stable enough to have kids, is Donald Trump lol. But, I look at it like, obviously we've been having kids for centuries. Our parents probably always didn't have the money but we survived. You give up things & go without just so your kids don't have to. You make it work & its never going to get easier, its only going to get different but look at it like a rollercoaster. It's scary, you're nervous, its a slow process getting to the top but once you drop, it goes by so quick & you had so much fun you wanna ride it again. I'm not an ol' pro at parenting, I only have 1 kid & hes only a year old but I hope I helped a little bit..
    babylovee

Answer by babylovee at 8:06 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Our son just turned one and we're TTC again, despite the economy. In our situation, the economy hasn't really affected us so we're lucky. But really.. is there ever the "perfect" time to have kids? We broke ground on our dream house 2 months before learning I was pregnant! Of course we were like "CRAP!" but we've been fine. My husband has a great job but we're frugal.. my son wears Walmart clothes, we buy Costco diapers, etc. Honestly, I don't know where they come up with the financial stats when it comes to raising kids.. I'm sure it's more expensive when they get older.. but anyway, I say go for it. Be frugal and you'll be fine!
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 11:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Personally, there is never a good time financially to have a baby, with that being said there's a better time then others. For instance, if you both have jobs and feel your ready. There's no reason to NOT have a baby! It will all be figured out when the baby arrives.
    My husband and I waited a little longer before we started, but the ecomony just got worse, I wouldn't hold up on baby making because of that. It's more what you guys as a couple. How good is your relationship? are you both commited. good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:45 PM on May. 20, 2009