what would you have done???

I took my son to the Doctor this morning and he apparently does not like to be there - we got in the backroom and he started to cry, handed me my purse and pointed to the door and said Go - mind you, he's 18 months old - I told him we had to stay and he threw himself on the floor and screamed and kicked, I tried showing him a book, talking to him, picking him up and holding him on my lap only to fail at every attempt. we then had to go upstairs to get blood drawn and because we weren't heading towards the car -he did the same thing. threw himself on the floor kicking and screaming. He doesn't at this age understand wait, hold on or simple explanations. I simply had to let him throw his fit in every area til we left. What is the "correct" way to handle this situation?? my husband wants to start taking him and I KNOW He will freak and take max home without any tests done or exams done when they are needed.

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to talk to him before hand. before going into the Drs.... "OK Max we are going in & if you can be a good boy maybe we can ........ (insert reward)" Remind him when u go in the reward & if he starts to act up..
    Bring a toy he likes to distract him.
    Can u make the app. during his nap? will he sleep in a waiting room? Or make sure he is Fresh & in a good mood..
    Good Luck! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Rather than saying things like wait, give some kind of incentive, or time period he can understand. Such as he says "Go" and you can say "okay, we'll go, but first we need to talk to the nice dr" or some such thing. He may be able to understand that a little better. I admit though I also use little bribes "we have to talk to the dr and then we'll get a sucker". Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 6:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Maybe he's behind emotionally at 18 months old than other kids because there is NO WAY he would understand me reasoning with him. I think I am just SOL because he will only nap at home and is very light sleeper and his good mood times of the day vary so much - he's not the happiest bubbly smiling kid - he is a very serious personality type, just like his father. He's serious and stubborn and undistractable. thank you for the advice though.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:18 AM on May. 20, 2009