did you hear about this??

http://news.aol.com/article/boy-wrote-u-all-will-die-before-shooting/487917?icid=main|main|dl1|link7|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fboy-wrote-u-all-will-die-before-shooting%2F487917

What do you feel should be done about school safety? There was obviously an attempt to be safe in this school (with the on again, off again metal detectors) but it also obviously wasn't enough!

HonorTrustLuv

Asked by HonorTrustLuv at 6:16 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm thinking about homeschooling.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think you can't be 100% sure of your kids safety in school these days. You have to put your trust in the teachers and administrators to do the best they can. Not everyone can homeschool their children, so I try to teach mine that if they hear someone say something or do something that could in any way be a threat they need to tell someone. And it is also imperative that we as parents start to tune in to our children more. These kids are claling out for help, and something is obviously wrong in their life that no one else is noticing. I encourage my kids to talk about any problems they are having in school or otherwise and they do. We are able to work things out before they get out of hand. We just have to have a trust in our kids and the school administration, and teach our kids right from wrong.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:30 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If they have to put in metal detectors, then there should be no children allowed on the premises. As a parent, I wouldn't take my children to a shopping mall which was dangerous, why would I take them and drop them off to fend for themselves for 6 hours in a hazardous situation.

It's nuts !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with waldorfmom. I don't want my kids to spend all day in a place that requires metal detectors and armed guards to be safe.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Why are we blaming the school? Why are we not blaming the FATHER...the person who owned the gun and obviously failed to secure it so his son couldn't get his hands on it????
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Blaming the father might make sense in this situation, however there are many guns that are kept in households with kids that are illegal firearms. The article only said that he got the gun from his father's house, not if it was legally owned or not.
    Anonymous

• Nobody is blaming the schools. They are simply saying that they don't feel comfortable leaving their kids in an environment that requires that they go through a metal detector. Why is that so hard to understand?

Anonymous