HELP AMNIOCINTESIS

My cousin went to get an amniocintesis(excuse me if spelled it wrong) for probability of down symdrome. Although there is no history in her family of mental retardation. The babies measurements are also very good and he is very active. The councilor that she talked to scared the shit out of her and told her if she wants to keep the baby not to get the test because if the baby moves while proceedure is happening the baby can be seriuosly injured. She wasscared to tears. Is there any advice or anyone that has had this proceedure? Has anyone lost a baby due to this proceedure? Please help? We know what the proceedure is about but can someone with experience give advice? Do you think she should go to the end of her pregnacy not knowing if her baby will be born with mental problems? We have prayed about it and will continue to pray. Her next chance to have the Amniocintesis is next week. thanks all

ImAlijahsmommy

Asked by ImAlijahsmommy at 6:18 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was given the option to have that test an opted out of it. The only thing your cousin needs to ask herself is if it came back positive (which I was told the test isn't perfect and can have a wrong result) would she terminate the pregnancy? If the answer is no, then why take the test? There really is no "preparing" for a child with disabilities. I wish her the best of luck.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• All im going to suggest is dont get the procedure done. There are too many risks and false positives to even BOTHER. If her child did have DS, there isnt too much to prepare for besides learning up on the actions and behavior of him/her.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• By the way- I know atleast 3 couples who had the amnio done, got a positive for DS and when their child was born he/she was perfectly fine.. No DS! Like I said, too many false positives to risk aborting a perfectly healthy baby. Whats wrong with a DS baby anyway? People with DS are some of the nicest people I know...
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Thanks she will be happy to hear that BEXi
    ImAlijahsmommy

Answer by ImAlijahsmommy at 6:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I woudlnt get it done-the cons isnt worth the "pros" if she would terminate the pregnancy due to downs syndrom or any other retardation than I guess than it would be an idea-but those tests more often than not have false positives....
    Not only that, if it is a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, like I suspect it is because of the family history Amnio can cause misscarrage or Fetal demise-why risk it if you know you'll love what you have no matter what his or her problems mght be
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 6:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I will give you my best advice bc I had this done twice I was 37 and 39 years of age when I was pregnant for the first and second time :)

When they did it it did not hurt I just felt alot of pressure as if someone was pushing down on my stomach.

I too was worried and nervous but to tell you the truth it was quick and simple the thought of that long needle going into my amniotic sac and getting a small sample made me very scared but my hubby was by my side (both times) and held my hand and I closed my eyes and relaxed and talked to God the whole time he actually walked me through atleast it felt that way for me :)

And I thank God everyday for my beautiful gifts from him. Congrats to ur cousin.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

• thanks Butterfly
    ImAlijahsmommy

Answer by ImAlijahsmommy at 7:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I my cousin was not scared to get the proceedure until the councilor basically told her it would be life or death for her baby to get the test. By the way my cousin is 29 years old and this would be her first baby.
    ImAlijahsmommy

Answer by ImAlijahsmommy at 7:10 PM on May. 19, 2009