question:: euthanasia?

What are your feelings on Euthanasia? and why do you believe this?? (just a question I had....)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our children had several great-grandparents, a couple of whom could arguably have been candidates for euthanasia. But our children benefitted greatly from having a feeble great-grandmother, nearly paralyzed with Parkinson's, living with them for a year ... from visits to another great-grandmother's home for a week or two to care for her while the grandparents took a trip. ... Neither of these women could have anticipated the blessings they would be giving in their late 80s & 90s as invalids !

My husband's grandmother was diagnosed with cancer before I MET her when I was 20. She was resigned to dying in a couple of years. But she told me that her philosophy was that her spirit was permeating her body with soul-light, so that when she died, the corpse returned to the earth would be more transformed the longer she remained in it. So she was contributing to the earth simply by enduring.

(She found Iscador & lived 25 more yr
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Under the right circumstances, I'm for euthanasia...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think its up to the individual person. If they are legally of sound mind and thats what they want...go for it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Do you mean "death with dignity" - something of that sort?
    I completely support it, as long as its done responsibly, isn't forced on anyone by drs or insurance companies, and the person is definitely terminal, with no chance of recovery, especially one in pain and discomfort.
    We put our animals out of their misery, why shouldn't we afford the same to our human loved ones?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think it should be up to the individual in question. It could improve the deaths of those who have no hope of recovery. Suicide is not illegal (at least not in my province- if you attempt suicide and survive you will not be prosecuted, you have not broken a law) and decriminalizing euthanasia would free an individual to go peacefully with their families around without fear that their family will be prosecuted after the fact.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't agree with it. I don't think we should play God...When it's our time to go we will go, why should we think we know better than God?
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 8:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have watched those I love deteriorate in front of my eyes from disease and then die a long and painful death. Had any one of them wanted to end their pain and suffering, the like that most of us can not comprehend, then I absolutely believe it should be their choice.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm all for it! If your dog is ill, you end his pain... Why not grandma? Why should we force sick and dieing people to live in pain until their body just can't take any more, when they can just go to sleep? What's more humane? In many cases - death...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:29 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Along these lines... I wonder is it playing God to keep someone alive through artificial means? Is pulling the plug (so to speak) wrong?

As for Euthanasia. I don't have issue with it.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree Sabrina - its sad that we show more compassion towards our animals than we do towards our own human family.
    Not to mention, if they're going to die anyway, its not playing God, its just giving them comfort and easing their death - sure it may happen 6 months sooner, but I don't believe God is going to insist upon someone suffering for 6 months when they don't have to. The God I know wouldn't demand that, wouldn't be so tyrannical to insist someone endure that. The God I know would have compassion...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 PM on May. 19, 2009