Okay...

Why is there such a lack of respect for stay at home moms? I stay at home...I go to school online...when I have my degree I will go back to work. But I don't think anyone who chooses to stay at home for a living has any less of a right to voice their opinion than a woman with a job. I haven't really noticed it until today: but today I've noticed a lot of sahm bashing. Why?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 6:23 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't like it when SAHMs say things like: "Raising my child is just way more important than going to work. I would NEVER put my child in daycare blah blah blah" (not saying all sahms do that)
    These women need to be thankful that they don't have to work! Most moms would love to stay home. And for those that could afford to, but choose not to...
    I don't blame them either! They've spent a lot of time building their careers, put a lot of schooling and hard work into what they're doing. It's a personal choice, just like BF vs FF or vaxing vs nonvaxing. We all have our reasons.
    I've read that children whose mother's stay home don't get a significant increase in "quality time" with their moms.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I dont know.. I have done all three scenarios, SAHM, WAHM and working outside the home.. All have their challenges.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:24 PM on May. 19, 2009

• ditto BEXi...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:26 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have been all as well. However, I find it very offensive that SAHMom's come on here acting like what they do is so great... when the poor working moms, do all that they do, plus they work full time. A workiing mom deserves a lot more respect IMO. Also, I get sick of hearing everyone complain that they don't have money for this or that, but the mom stays at home. She needs to pull her weight and earn some money for that poor family and stop living off her husband. That's totally disgraceful as far as I am concerned.
    Anonymous

• So it's not really a disrespect thing then, it's more that you feel sahms (but not all of us:) ) have a holier than thou attitude? I can understand that. For the anonymous poster.... I pull my weight money wise. I think that's the thing that irks me the most since becoming a sahm mom. My income really didn't change because I get school loans...also once I'm out of school I'll be making 70k a year to start. I just feel this is the right time to work on my degree, I don't really want to pay $800 for childcare when I can't find a job that would be worth it (we live 30 min from the best city to work in...there aren't any jobs here.) Even with my old job - which I would still love to have, believe me- it would be pointless for me to work when my daughter is born. After child care and car expenses I would be working just to work. I wouldn't be making any money, plus I'd have the stress of school and normal mom things.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I should point out that I'm currently a sahm, but I've been on the other side as well ;)
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I do not know. I think that being a SAHM is harder though. It is soooo redundant. the monotony of it all is enough to drive someone insane. After 2 years I decided to go back to work.
    blueyedbadass

Answer by blueyedbadass at 3:44 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I think that maybe they really wan't to stay at home to,but haven't found the right opportunity to do so.Just be blessed that you are able to be a SAHM.
    Tia23sb

Answer by Tia23sb at 3:49 PM on May. 20, 2009