how do I keep my dog out of the liter box?

My dogs eats the cat poo . groooosssss! Where do you keep your liter box? Are there any trick to keep her out?

angiebo

Asked by angiebo at 6:29 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pets

• How big is the dog? I wonder if one of those covered litter boxes would keep the dog out?

Answer by Bmat at 6:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Gross! But I've been there too!!! We bought a round litter box and the cats go in on a ramp and it curves around to the actual litter part so the dogs can't really get their faces into it. We also have it in a corner between a wall and a couch with the entrance facing the wall and enough room for the cats to get to, but not the dogs.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 6:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have a hole in my pantry door that my cat can fit in and we put the litter box in there. I don't know what size your dog is or your homing situation, but maybe something like this could work for you too.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 7:15 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Mine is in our upstairs bathroom in the closet...we have to put a baby gate at the door b/c that's where we keep the cat food too...don't think theres a way to keep them away. jUst block off a room I guess, if you can.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• we moved ours downstairs and it works great but callies mommie has a good suggestion with the baby gate as well
    full_house

Answer by full_house at 10:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have a covered litter box and all it does is get caught on my dogs head and she freaks out. We have turned ours sideways so the cat has to crawl behind the toilet to get in.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• my dogs do the same if i catch them i make a sound and they stop what they are doing. they know not too. you can't prevent them from wanting to do it but you can stop them from going there if you see them going there and make that noise with your mouth. i say ehech something like that.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:57 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If you have a tractor supply store, they sell some liquid stuff, I forget what it is called but you put it on the dog's food and it makes the taste of poo awful. It is non-toxic and doesnt harm your dog, it is made of vegetables. Good luck.
    mybabyangels73

Answer by mybabyangels73 at 1:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• We have a covered littler box that the opening is facing the underside of our utility sink. That way, the cat can easily get in, but the dogs can't. It came with a door that we just took off, but maybe that would work in your case?
    MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 7:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• thanks for all the ideas. Maybe a covered one would help. Probably not cause It's a 10 pound dog. The cats are bigger than her. I wish my apt was set up with a better spot for it. We are thinking of putting a little kitty door in the attic door and keeping it in the attic.
    angiebo

Answer by angiebo at 4:03 PM on May. 22, 2009