My 1year old is throwing screaming temper tantrums... have any suggestions?

SammysMom08

Asked by SammysMom08 at 6:33 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ooh my, mine does that too. i pick him up and sit him in the corner of the couch until he cools it!
    Anonymous

• Mine just started doing that too.

To begin with - DO NOT RESPOND!

After the not responding, if it lasts longer than a few minutes I take her to her room, sit her on the floor, and tell her this behavior is unacceptable. Then I leave and by the time she gets up off of the floor and gets back to the living room she usually has forgotten what she was throwing the tantrum about.

If, when she comes back out she is still throwing a fit, usually that means (at least for her) that something is actually wrong, I figure out what it is and then feel like a terrible mom for not addressing it beforehand, lol (that happens maybe 1 out of 10 times. Its usually just a tantrum)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:37 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My 15 month old is going through this and the simplest things set him off like offereing him something he doesnt want, he throughs himself on the floors and screams. I have found the best way to deal with it is to just turn around and ignore it. He usually stops within a minute or 2 and goes about playing.
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 6:47 PM on May. 19, 2009

• my lil girl is in the same mode its ridiculouse i just ignore her even in public if she wants to scream i let her. paying attention to her seems to make her do it more often
    i_luv_my_Marley

Answer by i_luv_my_Marley at 6:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• is he teething? that always always makes them grumpy. he might simply be testing boundaries. be calm and figure out what he is needing.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 7:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• my 23 month old daughter has already been through this. what i did is put a carseat in the house and picked her up and put her in it. buckled and all. also pertending to cry or wine when she did. that make her feel really small when i did it. when she learned that i wasnt going to listen to it she stopped.
    a_sams

Answer by a_sams at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2009