Are you to good?

I've always been a SAHM, And I would never work a minum wage job I feel like that would be embarassing and besides the biggest reason would be because on a minum wage job all my income would go to Day Care however i dont always plan on being a SAHM as soon as my yougest goes to school i want to go to school to be a R.N. anyone else like this or am i the only one?

WvMommyof3

Asked by WvMommyof3 at 7:00 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• im the same way. right now im going to school so that once i have my last kid and he or she is going to school then i am going into teaching which is my degree im shooting for.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 7:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'll work where ever for how ever much to put food in my sons mouth :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 7:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• A lot of people with degrees right now are working at minimum wage jobs. Why? Because there aren't many jobs around. For you to say you're embarrassed is very immature. I feel very lucky to be able to be a WAHM, however, if I ever lost my job, I would work wherever I could. I have a B.S. in Business Adminstration and I would probably end up working at the mall. But as long as I'm providing for my family it wouldn't matter. Even with daycare, I'd still be making money. So, if your question is am I too good for a minimum wage job? Definitely not! You need to grow up.
    Anonymous

• Annon...I cant think of several things that would classify as being immature but that isnt one them, My kids dont want for nothing...We have a nice home, they have food on the table and play sports make good grades, What im saying is it would be pointless for me to work a minum wage job when it would all go on day care, I want to go to school to better myself so i wouldnt have to work a minum wage job and to give my kids even a better life in the future but that makes me immature? Immature to me is when you answer a question anonymous!!!
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 7:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• There some jobs that I would not want because they are gross or too hard. I don't think I am too good for any. I find it odd you would think such a job would be embarrassing. I worked with a lady whose husband worked for the city, One day while working a man that he knew from church came out of his house and said "what the heck are your doing". Her husband was a garbage man and just told people he worked for the city. He just laughed at how surprised his friend from church acted. I believe if you work hard you should be proud of whatever you are doing.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 7:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• "And I would never work a minum wage job I feel like that would be embarassing"

That's what you said. Not just about the daycare. And yes, making a comment like that is immature. I never once said that you wanting to get an education was immature. You need to read things more carefully.
    Anonymous

• IF you think you are too good to work minimum wage, why do you think nursing is your field of choice? Nursing is a dirty, taken for granted position, and no matter what your salary it's never enough to clean bed pans an deal with disgusting bodily functions. Nobody is too good to work minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• Um Hon... you are staying at home sitting on your butt. I think more of a McDonalds worker right now!!!
    Anonymous

• I know of a Chief Financial Officer that was making $200K a year. He got laid off, and couldn't find work. After about 1 year of looking and interviewing, he finally landed a job as a casino valet. He makes $10/hr. He is darn happy to have something that pays.

It's great you have ambition and want to go to school to get your nursing degree, but your cavalier attitude indicates you have no clue what it takes to get your training to be an RN. How do you plan to pay for school? Here, it's a 2 year minimum program, which takes a lot of time-- more so than any job. How do you plan to pay for childcare while you're in school? Do you have any skills that would put you above minimum wage?

We know of a couple that both have minimum wage jobs, and have most of their lives. They are doing quite well-- both are able to afford the mortgage on their condo, and raise their son. There is nothing "low" about them.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i think if you really need the job .. to put food on the table.. you'll work for under minimum wage. but yes you should try to do all you can to obtain skills so that you can get better jobs but i know plenty of doctors , phd's bachelors and masters people who are JOBLESS and on the welfare line or working for minimum wage while waiting to get a "better" job
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:28 PM on May. 19, 2009