What's your opinion on assisted suicide?

IE, the whole Dr. Death/Dr. Kevorkian scandal.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:02 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be legal! if these people are truly in pain and truly going to die, I think it is more sick to allow them to have a long slow painful death! I think it should be their choice to have assisted suicide in a painless way!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My only thing is, what if insurance companys start to refuse to pay for meds but offer sucide instead. Then that can force a person to choose sucide over life because they don't want to burden their families. It is a hard subject. I don't think sucide should be an option but it is an adult making the decision.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I watched my grandmother waste away in her bed from ovarian cancer. It was terrible. I can't imagine how she must have felt. I would have been accepting if she had asked and been able to be assisted in dying. Watching her going through that was the worst thing I've ever seen. I can't imagine what she was feeling or going through.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 7:06 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I know my opinion won't be popular,but I'm solidly against it. It's no better than abortion. It's not up to us to decide who lives,and who dies. That is up to God,and GOD ALONE! And, before you say anything, if it were me, or a family member,I can assure you I'd feel the same. As a Christian, I put all my faith and trust in God. I know He knows better than I could ever hope to,and I'm not about to go second guessing Him,or His ways. We don't always understand why things happen as they do,but I do know I can trust God to do what is best in the long run.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think people should be allowed to die with dignity. Terminal patients should have the option of homecare hospice with morphine drips. It should be a personal choice and decision.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Our children had several great-grandparents, a couple of whom could arguably have opted for this. But our children benefitted greatly from having a feeble great-grandmother, nearly paralyzed with Parkinson's, living with them for a year ... from visits to another great-grandmother's home for a week or two to care for her while the grandparents took a trip. ... Neither of these women could have anticipated the blessings they would be giving in their late 80s & 90s as invalids !

My husband's grandmother was diagnosed with cancer before I met her when I was 20. She was resigned to dying in a couple of years. But she told me that her philosophy was that her spirit was permeating her body with soul-light, so that when she died, the corpse returned to the earth would be more transformed the longer she remained in it. So she was contributing to the earth simply by enduring.

(She found Iscador & lived 25 more years)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Aww Vicki, my MIL died in October 2007 from ovarian cancer. It was so incredibly sad :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Oh, and just so *everyone* knows, I really have no opinion on the subject either way. Continue =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:13 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have watched people on life support and who have had terminal illnesses suffer! Without drugs and medicine(manmade) they wouldn't have been alive anyways. It should be legal!
    Anonymous

• Stymen88 If it were up to God we would have to get rid of all Doctors and medicines. I have a hard time believing that would ever happen considering it's a business that helps stimulate the economy. Doctors and specialists bank off of other people's illnesses. God has nothing to do with this.
    Anonymous