How can a perfect sleeper (22 months) change overnight?

I always felt very lucky because since my son was one month old, he never wanted to sleep anywhere other than his crib. Even when we would travel, he slept perfectly fine in a pack-n-play. He was always the easiest child to put to sleep...I'd lay him in his crib, he'd say "night night" and I wouldn't hear from him again until the morning. But that all changed about two weeks ago-OVERNIGHT! All of a sudden, one night and ever since then, he screams and cries when I try to put him in his crib. He won't nap in there anymore either. He is only comfortable if he is in bed with my husband and I and we've been allowing him to sleep with us, because we have had no other choice, if we want to get any sleep at night. Is this normal? Can children really just change like that overnight??? What happened to my child that LOVED his own bed??? Help!

mrsamberloo

Asked by mrsamberloo at 7:24 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can try letting him sleep in a toddler bed. or a mattress on the floor. see what happens with that.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 7:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My son had night terrors and wanted to sleep in the same room as me untill he was five.It wasn't every night though.We put a night light in his room and expleind that there wasn't anything in his room that could or would hurt him.He replied that someone lived in his closet and bothered him at night.So we fixed that.Have you asked him why he wants to sleep with you guys or make a bed on the carpet for him.My son didn't like the carpet.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 8:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• He may have discovered monsters and a fear of the unknown / dark. This happened to my daughter about the same age. I got her a special stuffed animal who stands guard in her room. If he sees any monsters, he will growl and bite them. It worked like a charm. The little dragon didn't growl or bite so there weren't any monsters!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Maybe he has an upset tummy? Or an ear ache that is what happened to my daughter who use to be a perfect sleeper from the day we brought her home. Shed sleep from 715pm to 10am... now it's 830pm to 530-6am...
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 9:44 PM on May. 19, 2009

• TEETH they hurt !
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• 2 year molars?
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:13 AM on May. 20, 2009

• We went through this with our son. Turned out, he got new spongebob sheet for his bed, and the faces freaked him out and the though they were biting him. We removed and threw the sheets away and he sleeps perfect again. Have you changed anything? Has he seen any scary movies?

lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:39 PM on May. 20, 2009