? about multiple birth

meaning of course twins, triplets...etc. if twins etc dont run in either side of the family at all, is there still a chance to get pregnant with multiples?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• The chances are small but occationally in some women (particulary women who consume a lot of natural soy) more than one egg is released during an ovulation cycle and fertilized.

I personally release more than 1 egg 2-3 times a year but it runs in the women in my family.
    Anonymous

• It depends on what type of twins. Identical twins are formed with one egg and one sperm. As the embryo develops and before implantation it splits, the twins that are formed are genetically identical. Fraternal twins are formed with two eggs and two sperm and are therefor no more alike genetically than siblings. Higher multiples (triplets or more) can be any combination of identical and fraternal.

Medicine does not yet understand the miracle of identicals. Fraternals run through the mother's line. Therefore if you, your mother or grandmother has or was a fraternal twin you are more likely to do the same. The other reasons for fraternal twins are older mothers, above 35 the body likes to release more than one egg. Another cause are medications such as clomid which are used to stimulate ovulation
    Something else that should be remembered is that multiple births are considered higher risk. cont.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:42 PM on May. 19, 2009

• con't
    As I said before multiples are considered higher risk. They are much more likely to be born prematurly and to therefor have more medical problems and potential disabilities.

I am the mother of identical twins who were born at 32 weeks. They have learning disabilities and are not likely to ever be "normal"

So if your reasoning in asking is to "try" to have multiples I seriously discourage you from this. I love my girls but it was hard carrying them and it is hard raising them. The twin "cute" factor wears off quickly.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:46 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Absolutely...My best friend has no twins in her family, but she just gave birth to identical twin girls. If it doesn't run in the family, you're more likely to get fraternal twins.
    alesonterrian

Answer by alesonterrian at 8:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Well i had twins, i understand that they are alot of work, being pregnant with them was no fun also, but i did deliver two beautiful girls at 31 weeks and they were perfectally healthy, and they are soooo smart, they dont have any learining disabilities, if anything they are the top 2 kids in there class, dont think if you have twins that they are not going to be healthy or anything, now a days they have unbelivable doctors who are amazing and can treat very young babies, and a majority turn out just fine.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 8:13 PM on May. 19, 2009

• YES! Twins dont run on my moms side but fraternal twins do on my dads side. I myself am a "MoMo" twin which is quite rare (we are the only identical set in our family). Both me & my sister are perfectly healthy, we've never had any type of "medical problems" or "learning disabilities". When i got prego, i found out i was prego with twins but 1 had passed away @ 7wks but b/c my ds lived we knew they were fraternal. Now the whole "high risk" thing i just dont get b/c my sister & i were deff not considered "high risk" & went full term but my mom had us induced so we could be home for christmas. lol.
    Anonymous