How much do sonograms cost?

my birthing center where I go for prenatal care doesn't do them. And they told me insurance may or may not pay for it. I jsut wanted to know how much does a sonogram cost in case I have to pay for it.

T.Mod

Asked by T.Mod at 7:41 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 200-500 shop around. Why do you need to have an U/S? Is there some medical reason?
    moongoddess2112

Answer by moongoddess2112 at 7:46 PM on May. 19, 2009

• They can be anywhere from 100-500 dollars depending on the place.

Sometimes places that have had their equipment a while charge less because they are not having to pay very much in equipment cost but you'll just have to call around for the best price.

My doctor's office charges 140 for one.

Why do you need one? Is there a concern for the baby? If so your midwife can refer you somewhere making it more likely that your insurance with pay for it.

But remember that sonograms are not NEEDED in low risk pregnancies which is why some insurance companies will only pay for medically necessary ones.
    Anonymous

• if your prenatal provider does not do them...does he or she feel you need one? are you at high risk? if you're healthy and not having any complications, pains or anything like that....don't worry about an U/S. they can be very expensive if you're insurance does not cover it. you can do one for entertainment at 30 weeks (and that can cost around $100). If you get an extensive check / anatomy scan, it could cost you around 500 to 1,000...depending. Good Luck though.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I want to know the sex of my baby.
    T.Mod

Answer by T.Mod at 8:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• There are risks to ultrasound. Some known and some yet to be discovered.

Is your curiosity worth exposing your baby to ultrasound radiation? Has your provider explained the risks and do the benefits outweigh them?
    moongoddess2112

Answer by moongoddess2112 at 12:34 PM on May. 20, 2009

• nope sorry one anatomy scan is minimally required to make sure the baby is healthy at the 20 week mark. the benefits of knowing if a baby has a defect BEFORE birth far outweigh any "risks" ultrasound technology may present. and they have been doing them for 30 years with no known problems.....I'm not advocating unnecessary ultrasounds for entertainment purposes. I am merely stating the fact that dr's and mw's alike routinely recommend the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. Suppose your baby had a heart defect and you didn't know about it till s/he was very ill after birth? When a treatment plan could have been in order for half your pregnancy. Common sense please!!!
    MelRosen

Answer by MelRosen at 1:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• there is also no radiation in ultrasound. sound waves are used......hence the name sonogram.
    MelRosen

Answer by MelRosen at 2:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010