Do people ever treat you differently because you're a SAHM?

Someone asked me what I do for a living. I was honest, I said that I was a stay at home mom.

They just stared at me and said "Lucky you. Must be nice, huh?"

-.- If people only knew how hard it can be sometimes, yanno?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:59 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sometimes my sister gives me crap for it...Like she says, "well I wish I could just sit at home all day and do nothing." Hmmm...yeah I wish I could too!! I hardly ever sit and do nothing!! She is such an idiot!!
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 8:01 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Some try to take advantage of the fact that I can come and go as I please.
    Anonymous

• I told some one once that I was a SAHM and they said, that's not a job. I told the woman, you don't have kids you have no idea. this is the hardest job a man or woman could ever have. No job can increase your stress levels like being a SAHM. and there is also not a better job in the world.

No, we don't get paid for it with money, but we get paid with love, respect, and appreciation. I do miss working though.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yeah i know. i get asked all the time where i work and i tell them i work at my house taking care of my son. they look at me like they envy me and their like wow lucky you. im like yeah lucky me. i get to play with my son, change poopy diapers, feed him formula and solids, give him a bath every day while i try to get my school work and my house work all done too. its hard work and i would not change a thing about it. that usually shuts them up
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I get flack from some women, but I know what all I do. I used to feel the need to defend myself, but recently I gave that up. If someone wants to think I sit on my bum all day watching tv, let them. =)
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It's a cushy job. I always say, "Yeah, it IS nice!".
    AnitaVersion2.0

Answer by AnitaVersion2.0 at 8:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I was a sahm for many years and I worked for many years, too. I would take the rigors of being a sahm any day over having to leave my children with someone else while I had to work. Praise God, I have been able to be a sahm for the past 6 years again, although I worked part time for a couple of years.
    Now I can proudly say that I am a SAHGM and a Full Time College Student!!! :)
    It's a difficult road, but I am a hard worker and I love what I do. God has blessed me with my station in life. <>
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I miss being a SAHM. I did it for 7 months. I now work @ a daycare and I have 3 yr olds. So instead of being able to take care of my own son, I have to take care of other people's children. I only get to see my son on my lunchbreak. It breaks my heart. When we get home I feed him, bathe him, play for a bit, and then he's asleep by 8. He's asleep in the morning until it's time for me to get him ready. And then we have weekends together. But I have to work. And I guess it's better to work fulltime and have my son just a few rooms away than work somewhere else & not be able to see him at all & him be far away. I wish I could stay at home again, but I have to make a living for myself since his father won't support us & I don't want to live w/ my mother for the rest of my life.

Anonymous

• No one has ever really said anything too me, but I sometimes I get treated like I should be sitting at the kids table because I'm not a "sophisticated modern woman" with a job and a pedicure. I guess it bothers me sometimes, but I just have to look at my son and I know I am doing the right thing. I don't want to miss a moment with him! I actually never imagined myself as a SAHM but I am getting used to it.

As far as the "It must be nice" comments, well we are not rich by any stretch, we just pass up on fancy pricey things. We live within our means. It's not like I'm a kept woman which is sometimes mistaken for a SAHM.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• How many questions are we going to have on this topic?
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:36 PM on May. 19, 2009