I'm really having a hard time.....please tell me if I deserved this?

my friend just broke up with me and frankly I don't think i deserved it! We were going 2 vegas, I asked her if I gave her the 80$ I had would that be ok. She said NO, it had to be EXACT it would be around 90. I wrote her an email saying I completely understand where she is coming from. However, I didn't think ti would be that big of a deal and she hurt me considering I lent her my very expensive workout dvds to copy among other things. I added that maybe if I didn't give her EXACTLY my share then she wouldnot be happy on the trip and her friendship was worth way more than 10$ AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO PAY MY SHARE..NO PROBLEM!. She write back "Sorry you had to bring all this on with your petty stuff.

Sad heather I can see now why when you tell me you do not have friends I can see why. I am sure that comes with being taken care of and never having to work for anyting in your life."

Advise pls! This was too mean!!

2princesses1mom

Asked by 2princesses1mom at 8:01 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• wow. that was rude and uncalled for. you didnt deserve it. you were being considerate and telling her you know how she feels and that you thought her friendship was worth way more then 10 dollars. i think she is just being childish or has some very big issues she is trying to over come that you might not know about. give her some time and see if things settle down. if not then i would drop her as a friend in my opinion. if she wants to treat you like that, then she wasnt a real friend to begin with
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:06 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If she got bent all out of shape over $10, then don't worry about it, you deserve better than a friend like her.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I hope you don't take this wrong at all I don't want to hurt you more then you are in this situation. Your friend was very rude and unkind to say the things she said. But, I also think you weren't being completely nice when bringing up the nice things you have done for you. You probably should have left the stuff about the dvd's out of the e-mail and just told her the part about valueing her friendship and getting the money to her. Again, her response was wrong, but since you are the one asking, not her, that is my opinion. :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't think you were wrong....whats $10 between friends? And if it WAS a big deal, she could've just said that she was really strapped for cash and couldn't cover the trip without that extra $10...but then, if that amount of money either makes or breaks your trip..then it probably wasn't a good idea anyway...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:18 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Thank you all ladies very much. I understand that I maybe should have left the part about me lending her my dvd.....but in my email I said

"please understand I didn't give you the dvd's expecting something in return, you're my friend I was happy to let you copy them.

HOWEVER, I understand that we are all different when it comes to money. I was a little hurt when you said NO it needs to be exact, because I kind of felt like "wow, jeeze I just lent you my dvds and all the other stuff and you can't just call it even?"

BUT!! I do realize that none of the stuff matters, I wanted to go on this trip with you and one has nothing to do with the other I hope you're not upset or feel hurt, I would not want to hurt you I just wanted to tell you exactly how I was feeling and what I was thinking."

I guess I feel, if we are friends then I have the RIGHT to explain how I feel. Isn't that what friendship is all about?
    2princesses1mom

Answer by 2princesses1mom at 8:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• You say that you think she should value your friendship more than $10, but you don't if you expect her to come up the extra dough for YOUR portion of the trip. You are the one who is wrong. I would never expect anyone to cover the remainder of my trip, If anything I always pay more then my share to avoid stuations like this. Sorry if it is harsh but if you valued her friendship you would have done the best you could to make it fair and not made such an issue of paying the full amount.

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Your explanation e-mail sounds great. Hopefully she will realize she overreacted and let you know!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:38 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with Nathskitten
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think maybe you both went about it wrong. I don't think you should have asked her to cover you. Maybe you should have just said you couldn't afford to it this time since you couldn't come up with all your share. Then you could have left it up to her to offer if she wanted to. I personally never would have asked for someone to cover me, but most of my friends would have offered. She was very wrong for acted the way she did. What she said was very uncalled for. She should have just said that she couldn't afford to cover you, and not attack you personally. That is ridiculous. If ten dollars breaks the relationship, it is better to know this before something serious comes up. Consider yourself lucky!
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 9:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm not saying this is the case with you but I've had friends that I always had to cover part of their share and it gets old, especially if I'm short on money at that time but I'm already locked in on the plans so now I have to come up with their share too and $10 isn't worth losing a friendship over so I'd have paid it and went on if I had it and in your case, I'd have said "I'm sorry but I only have $80, so I'll hopefully be able to go with you on the next trip". It's likely she'd have said "I could loan it to you".
    To bring up things you gave her was wrong and you do realize that now. Personally I wouldn't have liked your email because although you say that you expect nothing, you did, you thought that it was worth the $10 (and it would be worth that to copy them to me).
    I'd say I'm sorry, and tell her that your friendship is worth a lot more than any amount of money and hope she agrees. If not, she isn't a real friend
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:29 PM on May. 19, 2009