Help With induction

I was induced with my twins 4yrs agao, due to having preclampsia, im being induced again but i dont have preclampsia, is being induced realy painful im realy freaked out about it, i forgot how it realy felt with my twins. im being induced on Friday ill be 39.5 weeks along.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 8:03 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why are they inducing you? Unless there is a medical reason I would NOT allow this.

Medical inductions are very risky. Yes the labor is way more painful and your stuck in bed but that is the least of your worries.

When I was induced with my first pregnancy the pitocin caused my uterus to hyperstimulate and then I bled out. I ended up with several blood transfusions and almost lost my uterus.

I'm REALLY NOT trying to scare you sweetie but PLEASE for you and your baby's sake do some research on this before you let them do this to you.

Remember that babies are not really over due until 42 weeks and babies come on their own time so if you have no medical reason it's best to avoid them!
    Anonymous

• I was induced with my first child. I got the epidural as soon as they induced me. So I never felt anything. I would do a lot of walking from now until your induction date. bring on as many contractions as you can until then, maybe you will put yourself in labor and won't have to worry about it. drink plenty of fluids. maybe all they will have to do is break your water. that is all they had to do with my son. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I was induced w/ my son, and remember how uncomfortable I was. (Its labor, its not suppose to be pleasant, lol) I went thru 16 hours of labor and stopped dialating. Ended w/ a section, which was ok in my eyes. I did get the epidural 10 hours into labor which was the best thing I did. Wish I would've gotten it sooner. Anyways good luck to you and congrats!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:15 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Hi the reason im being induced is becasue i have gestational Diabetes, my numbers are fine and the baby is about 7 pounds right now, but i think thats why, im also 2 cm dialated and 80% effaced, im trying everything to start up labor.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 8:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Have you tried nipple stimulation with a breast pump? It releases the natural hormone that pitocin mimicks and it DOES sometimes take several tries but it can work. Also have you tried Cumin tea? If so how many cups did you drink before you gave up? You can have 1 cup per hour.

Have they tried stripping your membranes? Normally I'm not a fan of this because it can induce infection but it's a LOT safer than inductions so if you haven't had that done I would call the doctor and see if you can come in tomorrow morning for them to do it (OR DO IT AGAIN if they've already tried because it can take up to 4 times before it works) and see if it works. Just tell them you want a chance to go on your own. They shouldn't argue with you about it.
    Anonymous

• I have a BioPhysical tommorrow, which means they are going to check everything so ill ask them about the stipping of the membranes.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 8:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think the first response really is trying to scare you! I'd ignore her if I was you.
    Besides that, I think that you should definately try every way possible to start labor on your own. BUT, if induction is what it comes down to, DON'T WORRY! I had my first naturally, and I was induced with my last 2. I was up walking around (which helps things progress, too!) until about 45 minutes before I delivered. The pitocin does seem to make the contractions feel a little bit more intense, but I got through both times without an epidural. You just have to decide how you want to handle it beforehand, and not panic during your labor. (But that's really the case whether you're being induced or not.)
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 8:40 PM on May. 19, 2009

• From what your tell us there is no reason for an induction. Beyond the increased pain from pit ( are you sure they want to use pit and not Cytotec? Ask! and do some research before you agree)
    there are possiable serious complication to being induced. Everyone acts like induction is no big deal but it is. Increased C-sections, stress to baby, stress on moms body and more. Do yourself a favor and do a lil research on the pros and cons of induction before you agree. While we here on cafemom have a wealth of knowlage you have to do the ready and make a choice that feel right to you.
    The fact that you are dialating and effacement is taking place means your body is doing what it needs to do.
    Good luck
    BRandy @ www.MyBirthConnection.com
    HypnoMomma

Answer by HypnoMomma at 9:24 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I was induced (with cytotec and broken water)) with my first and I ended up in painful labor (without pit or epi) for 12 hours. Then they gave me pit and an epidural. Two hours later I was having a c-section b/c my DD's heart rate kept dropping with contractions (a common occurrence when mom gets pit and epidural). The recovery was horrible. Now I have to have c-sections to have children. The only reason I was induced was basically b/c I was tired of being pregnant. If I had just waited another week or two she would have come when she was ready and I may not have had to have a c-section. At least I would have known if I was able to have children naturally. It was probably one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I'm not trying to scare you, just telling you what really happened to me. I wish I had done some real research before I let them induce me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on May. 20, 2009