egg whites

I'm boiling some eggs for my 8 month old and am taking the yokes out. What can I do with the excess egg whites? What can I make?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 8:20 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You definitely only want to give him the yolk as the whites are high on the list of possible allergens for babies. Every website I've read and pediatrician I've spoken to says that same thing. As for uses for the extra egg whites, I would use them in salads, serve them halved with hummus inside (like a devilled egg but its hummus instead of egg yolks), or you can eat them with avocado: cut the whites into 1" pieces, halve and pit 2 avocados and scrape out chunks. Mix with the eggs. season with a little salt and pepper and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Great healthy snacks for you, and baby still gets the yolks!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:56 AM on May. 20, 2009

• eat them. They contain more protien than the yolks and have less calories! Why are you only giving him the yolks?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• The yolks is what people tend to be allergic to. Just give him the whole egg. Most kids don't like the yolk. The yolk is also dry and poses a choking risk. I gave my son the whole egg at 8 months and he had no problem, other than not really liking the yolk until he was a little older.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on May. 19, 2009

• why not seperate the eggs sometimes and cook the yokes and save the whites. Look for recipes that use egg whites, great for whipcream, frosting and just check the net for more ideas for the whites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Egg salad, potato salad (try it with sweet potatoes!, tofu salad, any salad, really.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 AM on May. 20, 2009

• how do you seperate egg whites before they are cooked
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 12:09 PM on May. 20, 2009