• In the Spotlight:

Starting up Labor with a Breast Pump???

Ok im being induced on Friday but im wondering if the breast pump will help me go earlier so that im not induced.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 8:25 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can try it but I doubt it.
    Anonymous

• It is VERY affective in many women and is used in hospital by midwives to start labor. Many people don't understand natural methods so they assume they won't work.

The instructions from my midwife say to pump for 2 minutes, rest for 3 minutes, pump for 2 minutes again and then take a 20 minute break. She recommends walking outside or on a tredmil during the 20 minutes to aid in beginning labor.

If the contractions are inadequate after the intial 20 minutes than you can increase pumping time to 3 minutes, rest for 2 minutes, pump for 3 and then take another 20 minute break while walking.

Anonymous