Why does our society push college down the throats of our youth?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro education. But we need people that know how to fix toilets too!

Let's face it, college is not for everyone. What do you think?

comfycouch

Asked by comfycouch at 8:38 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Last time I checked plumbers didn't make too shabby of a paycheck... more than my sister and her BA anyway.

I think it's pathetic that so many people here have basically said a blue collar job was beneath them and their children. You don't have to be a doctor or in a cube somewhere pushing paper to have a respectible job.

THAT's why people push college down our kids' throats - so they won't have "demeaning" blue collar jobs. It's crap.

I think our children should be encouraged to be all they can be - definitely - but that doesn't necessarily mean college. We should encourage them to find something they want to devote their lives to (because 40hrs a week is a huge part of your life) and encourage them to take pride in whatever they do. Even fixing toilets.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:39 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree with you.
    Anonymous

• Because america has become a nation of uneducated morons. There is nothing wrong with being educated just to be educated. Other countries value education and are leaving us behind in this regard. it's pathetic.
    Anonymous

• Beacuse thats whats best for them! Who would encourage a child to clean or fix toilets??? There will always be people to do those types of jobs regardless if you encourage a child to be the best they can be!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:40 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I regret not getting more of an education when I could. I look at those huge houses and carefree people not worrying about financial problems and sigh. I'm going back to school soon though. I wish I had listened to those pushy pushers.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's only college they are pushing. I believe they want everyone to further their education. You have to further your education to fix toilets, do hair, be a masseuse.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 8:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree. People want the future generation to be a step ahead, and the way to do that is to get a college education. There will always be high school kids to flip the burgers.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:42 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Why do you think that's bad? There are always going to be people who don't go to college anyway!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:49 PM on May. 19, 2009

• A college education especially these days is very important! Without a college degree, soo many jobs opportunities are eliminated right there. There will always be people to fix toliets...we need more nurses and doctors. Those are the jobs in high demand. There's nothing wrong with pushing kids to better themselves, their lives, and education by straining the importance of college. It's when they start telling them NOT to worry about college because there will always be some sort of job for them, is when we need to be concerned.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think there is too much pressure on kids to go to college. ....If they don't go, they feel like failure. College does not guarantee success, nor does it buy happiness. Education in it's own right is great, but not everyone is cut out for the traditional classroom. This is my point.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 8:52 PM on May. 19, 2009