My daughter is having trouble pooping and is very gassy. I read somewhere on here that because I am nursing I can drink some sort of tea to relieve her, does anyone know what it is called?

MsSamanthaGrace

Asked by MsSamanthaGrace at 8:41 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know but keep in mind that the foods you eat will affect her.
    Anonymous

• anise
    Anonymous

• Its a myth that lots of foods cause gas in BF babies, caffiene and chocolate do but otherwise not much else...my son got bad gas from the mothers milk tea I drank and it had anise in it...so I dunno

You can give her mylicon gas drops or gripe water to help with the gas....is she on solids? That can cause constipation , nurse extra and cut solids for a few days...oh and if using cereal its pointless really and THAT for sure will stop them up

Nurse nurse nurse its the best thing to get poops to pass..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Try a bit of prune juice mixed with water. Call your ped first.
    Anonymous

• If she is exclusively breastfed than it is almost impossible to be constipated. If she has started solids, then you may want to cut back on the solids a bit and try to nurse more. Lots more info at Is my breastfed baby constipated?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• maybe she has allergies to what you are eating. is her poop like peanut butter or is it still soft. it's normal for babies to not poop for awhile.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• She is 6 months old and I did start to give her food but I stopped a few days ago because she hasnt pooped in a week! she was extra fussy today so i thinking it might be bothering her now
    MsSamanthaGrace

Answer by MsSamanthaGrace at 11:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• a week in a bf baby isn't uncommon. as long as her poop is not hard don't worry about it. skip cereal though cuz that can cause it can really constipate baby bad. try whole grain breads with lots of veggies steamed so that they are soft.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It sounds as if it is probably the solid food that is doing it to her. Give her lots of milk. Prunes are a surefire way to combat constipation in babies (and adults!), but I'm going to guess that you're still on rice cereal. If you do want to continue to give her cereal, make it really diluted with expressed breast milk. It's OK to give her some gas drops. You should also exercise her legs to try to work out the gas. There are ways to massage her tummy to help too. Warm baths can also bring relief.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:18 AM on May. 20, 2009