how do i stop my 3yr. old from playing with his thingy?

i mean he will just put his hand down his pants and look at it and pull it and so on. anyway i tell him no and he smiles and stops but then i look back and there he is again..i know he is curious but enough with his curiosity lol.its not going anywhere lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol my son is 3 and doing the same thing my dh hates it ( pulling on it ) i tell him leave your pee pee alone and same thing he will for one min but go right back to it. i know its a faze and as long as hes not doing it in public im ok.... for now lol. i also say dont touch the pee pee but the more we say dont touch the more hr touches so i ignore it and he will leave it be for a while.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It is just the age and the fact that he is a little boy. I wouldn't even bother to schould him or tell him no. I want my children to not be afraid of their bodies and be comfortable with themselves.
    I would explain to him that if he wants to touch himself that he needs to go to his own room in private. Mommy and Daddy and Sister and Brother don't do that in the living room, and you shouldn't either. I have two girlfriends with all boys and that is what they did, and it actually helped.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• The trick is to not pay any mind when he does do it and he won't do it as often my boys still do it LOL but only when watching t.v it's something boys do ... :)
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 8:57 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It's a natural thing boys have to do in order for the foreskin to pull back on it's own - even if they are circ. And, yes, of course it feels good to them.

By the way, boys never outgrow this................
    Anonymous

• The more you say no the more he will do it. Just ignore it, unless of course youre in a public place, and eventually he will stop on his own when he realizes it isnt doing anything. My one year old daughter does it too .. its just curiousity.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 10:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• the is a really good book called "I am three" when my son started doing this i did what the book said and it worked. It is a real good book it explains things from a 3 year old point of view and how you should tell them things

Tell him that his pee pee or (whatever you call it) is private and no one should see it but him. tell him if he wants to play with it he needs to go some place private like his bedroom or the bathroom and play with it there. DON"T tell him not to he will do it more cause he know it bothers you,. after a while he will lessen the length of time he does he plays with it because is curiousty is satisfied.

phelpsamp

Answer by phelpsamp at 10:39 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Put him in an outfit that keeps him from "accessing" it, like some overalls that fasten in back. Just be ready to help take it off in a hurry when he has to go potty!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Just tell him that he shouldn't play with his penis while others are around. You're not scolding, you're "instructing". There are certain things that aren't done in public and playing with one's penis is one of them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is 3.5 and he does the same thing. Especially since hes wearing underwear now its got alot worse. Sometimes he even makes it sore... Ive tried everything. Its like hes obsessed with the thing... I dont have any advice, but you are not alone!! :)
    Mommy-2-Jabe06

Answer by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 11:02 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son does this too! hahaha....I started saying "Busted" and we laugh about it. Then I say "remember, honey - those are bathroom manners. We don't touch our pee pees unless we're in the bathroom going potty."

We try to keep the mood light and not get mad at him for it. But, I also remind him that he can't do that in front of everyone.
    CJandTylersmom

Answer by CJandTylersmom at 12:40 PM on May. 20, 2009