Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG!!! My son just choked on a key ring. (16months)

I feel so horrible I didn't even know it was on the ground! I was doing some research on the computer while he was playing with his kitty on the floor sharing his peanut butter crackers with the kitty. I heard him cough I looked over he was fine figured it was just the cracker being dry and continued back to my research. He got quiet so I got up and went like four feet around the corner and he was laying on the ground panicking and turning colors! I seen the fear in his poor eyes. I immediately being the baby Heimlich...out came the key ring but while try to get it out he threw up to and now was choking on his throw up. After about a long minute seemed like hours..he started to breath again. I feel so horrible!!!!!!!!! He is perfectly fine now. After taking care of him I assessed the situation of how he got a key ring. Hubby accidentally knocked the key rack off the wall and there was the key ring on it. hubby didnt realize

Answer Question
 
Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:50 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 3 (23 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • it was on there and it hand fallen and rolled under a carpet in the hallway. When my son was down there playing he must have found it! *SIGH* is his throat ok? Am a bad mommy for this to have happened!?
    Bugsmommy1908

    Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Accidents happen.
    But being able to handle the situation doesn't "just happen"... GOOD JOB! You kept your head, used the training you made sure you had, and saved his life. He was looking at you with fear, yes. But with love and trust that you would fix it too... and you did.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 8:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Whew, what a close shave. Don't feel horrible. As moms we do the best to keep our kids safe, but they are little monkeys and sometimes get into trouble anyway. Big hugs and just be happy that he is fine.
    Nathskitten

    Answer by Nathskitten at 8:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • you are not a bad mommy!!! things like this happen. your baby is ok-it was an accident. as far as his throat, im not sure. i would think so but i cant be positive
    SThompson21

    Answer by SThompson21 at 8:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • No, you're NOT a bad mommy. In fact your a great mommy for being prepared and staying calm and being able to react to the situation! Kids get into lots of things usually by accident which is what this was. You may want to call the doc in the am to see about the thoat. I have no idea about what kind of damage, if any, that might cause. He may have a bit of a sore throat for a day or so, but is probably fine.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • His throat is probably fine. Did you see any blood in the throw up? Is he refusing to eat or drink anything? If you have any concerns, take him to urgent care (not the ER - you'll sit there for hours).

    And of course you aren't a bad mommy. You're a GREAT MOMMY. I hope I never find myself in the same situation but I hope I handle it that well if I do.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 8:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • kids get into everything, somethings i still wonder how in the world did he get that, and its horrifiying, my son is 3 and i still worry, you knew what to do so good for u for acting fast just hold him and give him love and always keep an eye open, its ok. xo
    tabbys4

    Answer by tabbys4 at 8:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Thanks so much ladies! He is being a super cuddly bug now...he eating gummy snacks and drinking milk now so I think his throat is fine.
    Bugsmommy1908

    Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Oh My!!! How scary! My heart broke reading it, I can imagine how horrible you must feel. Try not to beat yourself up over it and take some comfort in the fact that you knew enough to do the baby heimlich and you were able to save your baby's life. My son fell out of his high chair about two weeks ago while I was standing right there and I still feel like the worst mom ever, so I know how crappy it feels when your baby gets hurt.

    You should still call his doctor to let him know what happened. He may want to have your son assessed just to make sure everything is okay.

    You're not a bad mom! You're a great mom because you reacted so well! (Even if you FEEL differently).
    beckcorc

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • when my son was 16 months old he found a penny on the computer table when I was cleaning.I had just checked on him and didn't see the penny in his mouth.I turned back around and continued to clean.A second later my son ran up to me drulling and I told him to not spit on the gound.Then he turned bright red and his lips turned blue.I got my cousin(who was with me at the time)and she popped it out with the baby cpr.I've never felt so helpless in my life.He was fine and I calmed down after checking him head to toe.You're not a bad mom.It has happend to other children before.Children are curious by nature.They explore through thier mouths.At least mine do.
    elly25

    Answer by elly25 at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.