sick baby...

so my question is...my baby 9 months old has had a fever since yesterday morning...Ive been giving tylenol and Motrin round the clock along with everything else for congestion...how long typically should you wait until going to the doc?? even though they aren't doing anything for a baby that little anyway. But as soon as the meds wear off her fever spikes back up...It hasn't gone over 99.6. I know it's low grade but I just feel so bad....should I just keep giving tylenol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't even give Tylenol unless the fever is 102. Fever is your body's natural way of fighting something off. A low-grade fever is beneficial and should be allowed to do it's job, when you bring down the temp you're hindering it's job. Read this article and be sure to click on all the tabs that say "Call Doctor Now," "Call Doctor Later," "Treat at Home." I work for this Children's hospital and they have great online info:

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 8:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• A lot of doctors now don't consider a temperature a fever until it is over 101. I would probably give a call to the doctor. Also I do believe that those over the counter meds for congestion are not recommended for babies and children.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 9:01 PM on May. 19, 2009

• 99.6 is considered normal. The doctor...I should say our doctor...doesn't even consider it a low grade fever unless it's over 100, says not to give Tylenol unless it's over 101.5. The normal range for temperatures is usually considered to be 97.8-99.8.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• that's very interesting...thank you
    Anonymous

• You probably should get your baby looked at for congestion if it has been a few days, especially if it's affecting the behavior. It could be sinus infection or something. Never hurts to get things checked out. But I would avoid medications unless the fever spikes over 101... unless the doctor instructs you otherwise. Try saline and suctioning... that might help with congestion if it is in his head. My kiddo's sick with some sort of virus that has him running a temp of 103... it's no fun.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:48 PM on May. 19, 2009