Why do parents get so worked up over some parents methods of parenting when its their child and not yours?

I've seen so many parents get pissed over the idea of some parents methods of discipline.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have no clue about this either! Not your child, not your business, not your problem! Some people have nothing better to do than just constantly judge others and bitch about what they are or aren't doing. Unless a parent is beating their child, or harming or abusing them in some way that is clearly labeled as child abuse or neglect, it is not my business what you do with your kid. I guess some people think THEIR WAY is the ONLY WAY to do things and everyone else is wrong.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i was yelled at by an older lady ( 60's ) at the store one time for slaping my sons hand he kept grabing stuff of the shelf and throwing it in the cart at first i said to him thank u but i wll do it ok? ok, but kept doing it after the 3rd warning i slaped his hand and said i said no. he was fine wasent crying and this women said u shouldnt hit your child its wrong and i should call cps on you. i was shocked but said go ahead or would u like to pay for my food this week with all the xtras he's throwing in cause if u are then by all means. i think she was also shocked because i said something instead of just looking stunned. its not anyones bussiness unless were beating the child and were not. i do spank and slap the hand if need be but thats all i dont beat bruise break anything. everyone is diffrent as thats there choice.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It's not about the parents it's about the child/ren. Okay, for me I will not allow a child or children to be abused in anyway infront of my eyes. If your child is dirty what does it say about your parenting, Call me judgemental call it what you want, I call it watching out for the well being of a child.
    Anonymous

• If your child is dirty what does it say about your parenting, Call me judgemental call it what you want, I call it watching out for the well being of a child.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And what are your children doing when your "watching out for the well being of a child"? How do you know how the child got dirty in the first place. Maybe they fell, or came from the beach and is full of sand and mom had to stop on the way to buy them lunch or something. DONT JUDGE UNLESS YOU KNOW THE SITUATION.
    Anonymous

• what does being dirty got to do with bad parenting. maybe the child just got done playing in the dirt, or somewhere where they get dirty. i can see if a parent is beating there child, but being dirty is just stupid.
    Anonymous

• Good point OP. I usually don't care unless it is abusive. On the other hand, at one time it was my job to assist parents in finding better ways to parent their child as their child's therapist. That wasn't all, but it was a part of it. And of course I am a mandated reporter so there is that fact that if child abuse occurrs I do not have that ability to sit back and say or do nothing. I have a legal and ethical responsibilty to exercise appropriate interventions. Mainly just reporting it to who I need to. In the past I was the person where if someone did a very poor job at parenting then I was the one that they got court ordered to see. I can't help but personally shake my head at things I whitness outside of the working realm. But we all do that. I don't care as long as it is not abusive. That doesn't mean I don't get annoied when some kid is leaning over the booth drooling food in my hair while mom and dad eat.
    Anonymous

• id have to agree with he other anon. personally, i feel that the well being of my own children is the most important thing in my life, and i really dont understand people who dont have the same priorities. yes abuse is hitting or beating a child, but just because you dont beat your kids does NOT make you a great parent.
    children are our future, we as parents have a duty to make sure they are as well rounded individuals as we possible can, and anyone who dosent, and says 'oh well, im not beating them, so mind your business" is a pretty pathetic parent, in my eyes.
    Anonymous

• Some moms think they are perfect, so they can judge others.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:31 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Some parents feel that they are perfect and their way is the only way and they can't get the idea that there is more than one way to raise a child. What works for one child may not work for another, even in the same family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Because, and let me add the obligatory "in some cases", people are not 100% convinced that THEY themselves are doing things right and in order to validate themselves they have to tear everyone else down. Heaven knows that there is only ONE right way to raise a child and if you are doing it than everyone else MUST be wrong.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:53 PM on May. 19, 2009