How do I get my 13 year old son to stop being so mouthy?

His mouth keeps getting him in trouble. The week that he turned 13 he got in his first fight in school with his best friend all because of his mouth and got 3 days of inschool suspension. When he doesn't get his way he loses his temper and spouts out ugly things. I don't know how to punish him for it in an effective way. Taking things away and grounding him don't seem to help. Sometimes I have to say no and he dont understand that. He has recently got in trouble on the bus for being disrespectful and not following the rules. He has never been this way with other adults, he has always been that way with us and nothing has worked.

anutyfluffy

Asked by anutyfluffy at 9:05 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Don't mean to be harsh but pop him in the mouth he'll be so surprised and scared that he'll relax .
    Anonymous

• I don't agree that he will "relax" but he will definately be surprised! lol Good luck! My boys aren't teens yet but they will be there one day.... :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't stand for it with my dd. We would give her three warning to knock it off and get herself under control or we would get the bar of soap. Th first time it only worked for a couple of weeks. The second time it worked for a year. Now all I have to do is remind her of the soap and she goes quiet real quick. It's not for everyone though.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:15 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Have him write dictionary pages every time he mouths off, I do this with my son because he hates to write. I just have to mention the dictionary and he changes his mind.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on May. 19, 2009

• just a observation...if she cannot get himn to stop running his mouth, how in the hell is she supposed to get him to sit and write pages? lol just curious how that would go...?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Make him give you a dollar every time he mouths off or swears etc..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on May. 21, 2009

• got to agree with the quick and simple pop in the mouth. She is so right. He will be so shocked that you actually popped him in the mouth, I can guarantee that his mouth will probably fall open in shock. It has to be quick, to the point. Don't explain your actions afterward either, just walk away. He knows why he got popped. And if he's thick, don't give up. I can remember when my oldest was about 14, he got mouthy... I don't spank my children on a normal basis, but can remember that this one time he was out of control and I lost it. Went in his room actually with the belt. I can tell you when I finished he knew that I meant business. I think he was shocked and surprised. And will say that he never spoke to me in that way again. It was yes mam', no mam' from then on.  He's a pleasant 19 yr old on full paid scholarship.  You owe it to him to make him right.

Jeanie1102

Answer by Jeanie1102 at 6:18 PM on May. 22, 2009