how early can u have a baby and it be ok

brittanysmom87

Asked by brittanysmom87 at 9:06 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am having a very hard pregnancy and my OB says that at 28 wks, if I were to deliver, the baby would live...just be in the NICU for a long time. I know with my 2nd son, I was 32 wks when I went into pre-term labor. They gave me a shot to accelerate his lung development just in case but I could have had him at that time. But I believe that the above poster's are correct. In a "normal" situation, I think they like you to be approx 36-38 wks.
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 9:39 PM on May. 19, 2009

• around 36/37 weeks if you have the baby it will be fine and you can both leave in a day or two. Earlier then that the baby would live but it would have health issues and need to be in the NICU for awhile (the earlier the worse the situation would be)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• babies are viable out of the womb around 24 weeks, but they need A LOTTTTT of attention. my cousin was born around week 28 and he was in the hospital a long time but turning 10 this year. full term though is 37+ weeks. good luck!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 12:16 AM on May. 20, 2009