I have a problem

I just got approved for food stamps and cash assistance. I start school in June. Will they cut me off if I get a part time job? if thats the case I wont get one and concatrate on school

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They might it depends on how much you will make.....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Oh. Don't ask anon with the question about SAHM on welfare!
    Anonymous

• No, but as part of food stamps don't you have to report earnings quarterly?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• They may cut you back on the amount you receive but I don't think they will cut you off. Check with your caseworker is the only thing I can recommend.
    Anonymous

• They won't cut you off... your foodstamps might get cut but only slightly... I'd go for the part time job, get you outta the house at least a little.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 9:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Well, if you're going to get cash anyway and food stamps, I say just concentrate on school.
    Anonymous

• They will more than likely cut the cash assistance.I was working and only made 6.15 an hour and worked for 30 hrs a week and they cut mine off.But they increased my foodstamps.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 9:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Can you get school loans? That's what I do instead of have a job. I don't have food stamps or anything because we don't need them, but I don't think student loans would effect that any. The only thing I needed was temp medicaid. You should check with your case worker, they would probably be able to tell you best.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:27 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Check into your welfare cutoff limit. In my area it's roughly $930 a month. I made $18 more a month than the cutoff limit and they cut me off. With a part-time job, I'm pretty sure you are in the clear. As for school, with welfare you get pretty good tuition assistance. That's my experience atleast. I got most of my schooling paid for and only had to get a couple thousand in loans. You should check into that also.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Instead of taking a 100% free ride, take that part time job and give back a little of what you are getting. If they cut you back, it won't matter because you have a job to cover it.
    At the very least, commit yourself to some volunteer work for the same amount of hours you were planning on working part time so that you are giving back something to the community instead of soaking off the system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on May. 20, 2009