if being 3 cm dilated and -1 effaced could the contractions i'm having be false labor? i'm confused

i just had an appointment today and the doctor told me i was a full 3 cm dilated and -1 effaced, and i have been getting contractions every 10 minutes, my mom will pick my husband and i at 8 cause we don't have a car now, and she will drive us to the hospital to see if i progressed on dilation, but i'm just like afraid it's not real labor i just have no clue since this is my first baby, please help...

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 9:31 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This is the real thing hunny. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• when the contractions get to be 7-5 minutes apart for 1 hour then you can go to the hospital. Try walking or moving around to see if they stop. If you are in full labor drinking water will help you dialate, it did with my second baby. Good luck.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:34 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Yay! Yay! Maybe that baby is coming!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• so you guys think its not a bad idea to go to the hospital and get checked?, the doctor told me if i get to be at least 4 cm they will just make me walk and if i don't progress they will induce me but she said it is really painfull that way, gosh i'm a little nervous!
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 9:39 PM on May. 19, 2009

• good luck today in the hospital - I keep my fingers crossed for you being into real labour. I do remember one of your previous questions and I know how much you were scared of being induced and possible c-section. One more time good luck and have easy delivery.

polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 9:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• thank you :) and as having a C section hopefully everything goes right, but i dont know this last week i lost weight instead of gaining so my doctor just said it was kinda interesting i didnt gain but lost some weight!
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 9:44 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I concur...and NEVER feel bad if you aren't actually in labor !!  I assume this is your first baby...and without a car, all the more reason for you to be checked out.  I was in the exact circumstances, dialation, effacement...and the Resident Doc said "Oh..you won't have this baby for 2 weeks"..HA...I left, was dropped off at home..put on my jammies...and my water broke!!  I gave birth to my younger son at 8:00 a.m the following morning...so noone ever knows "exactly" when your baby decides it's time!  Congrats! Thanks for sharing in your excitement!

jeannebean

Answer by jeannebean at 9:44 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I guess your OB was talking about inducing with pitocin. The contraction are different and more painful for most delivering mothers (the pitocin is given in constant flow unlike natural oxytocin secreted in bursts).
    I cant tell if its true or not since I got epidural before there were nowhere to hard to stand. (thats the other claim about domino effect).
    The only thing that really sucked for me is the constant monitoring and need to lay flat in bed ...grrrr
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 9:45 PM on May. 19, 2009

• sounds normal to me, i lost weight my last week of pregnancy with both of my kids :) Yes i think it won't hurt to go to the hospital and get checked. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to stay and have your baby. Good luck and congrats!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:46 PM on May. 19, 2009

• thanks a lot everybody, keep me in your prayers tonight so they won't make me come back home since i don't have a car! and specially because i wanna have my little princess with me already! :D i'll upload some pictures of my baby once i recover yaaaaaaaay i'm happy :)
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 9:50 PM on May. 19, 2009