Am I the only mom who ISN'T going to plan a big party for her child's first b-day?

I hear so many moms talking about themes and guest lists, etc. Why throw such a huge fandango when the child has no idea what a "birthday" is, and will only see the day as a regular ol' day of the week? And he won't remember a thing.

I'm not bashing, I just want to know if I'm the only mom who isn't planning a huge celebration?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No Honey, you are a very wise and intelligent mother. That's ridiculous to throw such a bash.. they are doing that for their benefit and others, not the child's. Hooray to you. I commend you.
    Anonymous

• I didnt have the money to! We just did cake and close family. You should do what you feel is best and dont forget to tape it!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• we had a party, but it was more of a party to gather family and close friends (about 15 in total) to celebrate my first baby's birthday! plus my parents came down from the northeast and I havent seen them in a long time. the party was small and short, but very nice! my son had a wonderful time!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I had a small quiet party for my DD when she turned 1 because I think that they get overwhelmed at that age by all the excitement. So I had about 30 people who wanted to come...And I only invited about 9 and a couple kids. LOL. Now her 3rd birthday party, that was a BIG party.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• it is a personal choice, it is true that the baby won't remember but the parent will and the fact that the baby was brought into the world is something many parents cherish and want others to be with them celebrating their child's life. If you feel like there is no reason to celebrate that is up to you and is very respected. If a "happy birthday sweet heart I am glad you are in this world" is all you feel like doing, fine that is your child and that is your prerogative. Honestly, I haven't meet any mom who is not static about her child's first birthday regardless if the child will remember it or not but like I said it is your child and it is your prerogative. Me, I have always celebrated big time for any reason, I just enjoy letting people know I love them and that they are very dear and special to me in any way I can.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• When my little girls 1st b-day comes around.. I will only be inviting family members.. Plus I'll have to figure out what to do about it.. Beacuse her birthday is on Dec. 29th.. Its sooo close to Christmas..
    Poopie08

Answer by Poopie08 at 9:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Your not alone. I didnt have a big birthday bash for either of my kids 1st birthday, just a cake and a few close family members (around 5 or 6). My daughter's 1st birthday fell on Thanksgiving so we had dinner and cake with the family! My son slept through 3/4 of the get together we had for his 1st birthday. Now for my daughters 2nd birthday I did rent hall and invite about 35 people, she picked the theme and had a blast. She talked about it for weeks. I will probably do the same for my son's 2nd but I really didnt see any sense in doing it for their 1st.
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 10:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• OP

Poopie08: MY b-day is Dec 29th too!!
    Anonymous

• I didnt have a party for my sons first b-day. We both took the day off and went to the zoo though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I didn't want to, but the g-ma's pushed it. I just wanted fun for my baby. Balloons, a pinata, bubble machine, her favorite music, few gifts, and going to the park. But all the guests, food, cake, and other BS that don't matter got in the way. She was surrounded by people she didn't care about and just didn't have fun.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:31 PM on May. 19, 2009