is it werid to send toddler to there room for a time out

not into spanking my son.. he is 18 months old and of course is learning to test his boundaries.. i dont want to use the crib for time out or put him the corner.. for one corner is a little weird to me then the crib is where he sleeps. so when he hits me or bites ive walked him to his room which is safe for hime and close the door.. i then look at the oven timer and closed the door for a minute then opened the door and gave him a hug ad explain we dont hit etc.... he does get upset is this a weird thing to do.. in general for a toddler?? thank u very much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honey, you are the mother, why do you ask others for their opinion. You raise your child the way you want to. One thing I am going to commend you for is that you are wise to start disciplining your child now. I realize you don't spank, (I am for spanking) but all the same, you are doing a good thing. Just be consistent.
    Anonymous

• I have a little time out bench it;s cute it says time out on it my lo's have to sit there for a minute so no not weird

Anonymous

• I dont think it is weird the room (not the crib dont do the crib just his room)
    thats where time out was in my house (until March) I started potty training and we relocated to the bathroom or else he piddles in his pance
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

• no what you are doing is fine you are cooling him off then talking about it and explaining it to him. my fifth child is 20 mo. and a little firecracker just not always in a good way!!! he needs to chill out at times at this age spanking is not going to do anything what you are doing is fine, you stop him immediately, cool him off, and talk about he will get it.
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 9:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think it's good. I had a hard time with whether to put our 2 y/o FS in his room, and when he was 18 mos was using a play pen in the living room. When he could climb out though, we had to do something different. Getting him to stay on a chair, square, etc. wasn't working for us, and I finally resorted to putting him in his room. I am happy to say that now he stays there, cools off himself, and then he comes out on his own. I don't do the 2 minute thing anymore. Just when he's ready to be nice and not bite/hit, etc. whatever. That way he doesn't scream for 2 mins, and he knows to calm down. Later when he's older, we may have to use a timer, but right now we don't. You are doing exactly the right thing, Mama, and if it works, great!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:42 PM on May. 19, 2009

• You are the only one who knows what is going to work! It sounds like you are doing great. I personally have a time out chair for my 1 yr old and my two yr old. and it works or they go to there rooms.
    AlyConMom

Answer by AlyConMom at 1:20 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Personally, I'd pick a different spot. The argument you use for not using the bed for time outs is the same one I'd use for the room. His room should be a safe haven for him, some place he can go to be safe and secure, to play...to sleep.

We use the corner, because them standing in the corner works better for us. They tire quicker and become agreeable to doing what they were told much faster. (we don't use the "minute per year" method)

Try the bottom step, a little chair off to the side of the room, a small rug/mat....? AS long as there's not TV, no books, no toys and no you during the time out, it's fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:41 AM on May. 20, 2009

• We have a special seat that is in the corner, but faces out into the room so the kids can see what is going on. We also have a timer right there beside them that they and they know that when it rings they can get up even if mommy does not come over right away. It took some training to get them to stay there until the timer goes off, but they eventually got it and they usually come running over and tell me or sibling they were sorry and then go about their merry way. My kids are 4 and 2 years and I started this method when my oldest was 2 and getting out of hand and the youngest has been going to the naughty chair since about 15 months old. I haven't had anywhere near the problems with the youngest as I did with my older one at 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on May. 20, 2009

• get a naughty couch or chair for toddler
    lattemom1

Answer by lattemom1 at 12:12 PM on May. 21, 2009