How much does a wasp sting hurt?

On a scale of 1-10 how much does it hurt? I have a crazy phobia of wasps and it is affecting my son. He is becoming scared of all bugs so I need to keep my cool around them when we are outside. I think if I know how much it hurts it might help me. Ive never been stung so I have no idea.

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 9:52 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It hurts a lot at first, maybe 8? And the problem with wasps is that they will sting without aggravation. When around them move slowly and move away.

Answer by Bmat at 9:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

• To me it's no worse than getting a shot.... sometimes the shots hurt more.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 9:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i get shots all the time but when i got stung by a wasp on the back of my calf, i went down like it was a gunshot! lol.. i think people all experience pain differently, so the answer could be subjective.
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 10:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'd say a 4. It wasn't horrible, but it did throb. It was more of a shock than anything! If you are alergic, I'd imagine it'd hurt much, much more!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh, and I have never seen one attach peacefully. Doesn't mean they don't, though. There was a nest under my daughters swing and I grab it to reposition it and my hand landed on the wasp. I don't think it attached me, I unknowingly attached it! And no stinger stuck in me, so that helps it not hurt so bad, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I got stung right below my bottom lip and it swelled so big that i couldn't talk clearly. They don't hurt too bad, a 3 or 4, a lot less than a scorpion. Now those hurt like hell!
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 10:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• it does sting, all you have to do to stop the stinging is hold some tobacco with and icecube on top of the tobacco on the sting. i've been stung a few times and the pain is probably like a 6. it depends on your tolerance for pain. and you really shoud keep your cool around your son when theres a bug. if you're allergic to stings then it's understandable. if not, it's really not a big deal to get stung. they wont just come up and sting you for no reason anyway.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:27 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I can honestly answer this, It hurts like HELL!!
    Course I am allergic to them so yeah it double hurts.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 7:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

• of course i dont like bees either or wasps or horntets but once when i was a kid a wasp landed on my foot and i didnt move for like a half an hour but i heard it is just like a shot then if it is your first time u might want to visit the hospital right after
    Coda227

Answer by Coda227 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010