Need effective ways to discipline a 13 year old boy with out hitting/slapping.

Taking things away and grounding him don't seem to be effective.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Kick him in the butt and make him behave. You need to take the control back and away from him. He's your child, make him mind. If you have to lay him down on the couch and sit on him.... do it. You have got to make him listen to you now, or he never will.
    Anonymous

• Take the door to his room off of its hinges. Privacy is a priveledge, not a right. Until he can learn to be trustworthy, he doesn't get privacy.

What are you taking away that's not being effective? Are you taking away the phone, cell, TV, computer, outings with friends, radio, gaming devices (one by one without giving anything back until the behavior changes) leaving him with nothing and he STILL isn't behaving? I'd take everything away one by one and make him earn each thing back. There'd be no "this is gone for a week" with me, you don't get it back until you make up for what you did.

Does he have anger issues? Can you take him to talk to a therapist?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• obviously your not taking the right things aways...or he just has problems in whcih case he needs to see a councelor...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• stay consistent. if you ground him stick to it. Also try giving him extra chores as a punishment.
    you and his dad need to be a team add have each others backs.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:38 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Take his door of the hindges-It worked for me- and if it gets worse take the door of the bathroom too- (providing you and hubby have your own)
    when he looses "privite" time he will start to listen!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 11:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Depending on how he is misbehaving... When I was 13 I didn't want to listen to anyone I thought I was old enough to do what I wanted. So my mom said that if I wanted to act like an adult thats fine but I had to start doing things for money, buy my own food, make my dinner, clean my own bathroom..... That wasn't fun so I decided I would just be 13 for a while and listen to my mom.
    Anonymous

• I make my 13 yr old son write out dictionary pages, he HATES writing so this is a real punishment and one that he also learns with. All I have to do is threaten to get the dictionary out. I also talk to my son (not at him) about what I expect of him, what the consequences are and what he can do to act differenlty. Take away what means the most to him, it has to be meaningful or it won't work. I do NOT suggest hitting in anyway he is too old. I know that lectures work wonders with my son because he hates having to sit and listen to me talk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:32 PM on May. 20, 2009