How did you get your child to tell you they had to go potty or poo?

My daughter will be 2 in June. She does great going on the potty when we say "Hey! Let's try to go potty!" She will go in and go. If we don't suggest it, she will go in her pullup. Every once in a while she will tell us she needs to go. We would love to hear suggestions on how you got your child to tell you they needed to go. At first when she would even go pee or poo we gave her a sticker. Now she doesn't care if she gets one. She also goes to daycare and she is the same there. If the provider suggests it she'll go in and go but if it's not suggested she'll go in her pullup. She does hold it though for a bit. Help!

khloesmom615

Asked by khloesmom615 at 10:25 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2.5 we started potty traing in March I still tell him "lets go potty" I take him every 2 hours and I make him sit for poopy after breakfast everyday for about 10 minutes- the Dr said about 6 months before he'll let me know --
    my daughter is 4 she needed direction until she was 3-- she potty trained at 22 months old-- but it took a year before she just knew and went :(
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:39 PM on May. 19, 2009

• oh and I do not use pull ups unless we are going someplace were a potty may be hard to find-- its too confusing for them-- I think
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i think the pull ups confuse them too. but my dd is gonna be two in june as well but she wont tell us when she has to go, if we take her she goes......but other than that she goes in her panties so if you find a way please post
    Anonymous

• Here's her choice:
    Tell mom I have to go potty. Which means I have to put down my wonderful, fun, exciting toy and go sit in the bathroom
    OR
    Keep playing with my toy and hope the feeling goes away. Wishful thinking and hopes are powerful, right? If I wish hard enough the feeling will go away.
    Which do you think she will choose?

First: Switch to panties. Don't let her have the diaper choice of just going in her pants. Save pullups for long trips out and overnight.

Second: Just keep taking her often and keep an eye on her. Remember that "I forgot to go" accidents are common in the first 6 months (at least) and whenever the child is in a new situation or really involved in something. That's true all the way up to grade school.

Don't ask her (she'll say "NO!") and don't wait for her to tell. Tell her when it's time to try.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• We use pullups during the day and diapers at night. We have been working on potty training since 18 months. When she wakes up in the mornings she is dry. We found that when she is in her diaper during the day she doesn't even react like she is needing to go pee or poop. But, when she is in a pullup during the day she doesn't like to be wet or dirty. I just wish she would start to tell us she has to go.
    khloesmom615

Answer by khloesmom615 at 11:20 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Like I said - don't expect her to tell you. She may, but not with any regularity. In the end, she'll just go on her own without saying anything but that may take a year or more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My son is 20 months... should i start and how do u start potty training?
    kilagosdead

Answer by kilagosdead at 12:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and when we first started she was in pull ups for like 2 months and then i told her its time to be a big girl and go to the potty and get big girl panties on... after tht she goes to the potty all the time with no problem and he lets me know but when i potty trained her she told me no to go to the potty i just brought her to it and it works potty succes
    RISSA25

Answer by RISSA25 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• at least your LO's are "trying" to potty train!! My DD is just over 2 1/2 and will have NOTHING to do with going potty! I've tried setting her on the potty for extended times, EVERY 20 minutes, the pull ups, the big girl panties, potty chairs that sing, stickers, chocolate/candy etc etc! Even let her soil her big girl panties - so she would "hate" the feeling, and she didn't even seem to care!.. NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has some suggestions, i too, am ALL ears!!
    2BabIez2BeBaker

Answer by 2BabIez2BeBaker at 4:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009