My daughter called me a liar

I did not lie. I love my daughter unconditionally. But I have set boundaries to exclude vebally abusive behavior. I miss her. How do I resolve this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• That isn't really enough story to give you a correct answer on.
    Anonymous

• I think that young children and young adults have a way of interpreting the world different from adults. If your dd feels as if you lied to her, communicate with her. Give us info to make informed decisions in our advice but in my opinion, our children do understand more than what we give them credit for.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I went and filed a temporary protective order on my husband because he'd threatened me and I was frightened. She could not believe I was scared and having panic attacks.
    Anonymous

• If she feels you lied to her the only way to open up dialogue is to allow her to express her feelings without judgement and ask her to do the same.  Then you can find out where she is coming from and give her the full explanation she probably feels she needs. 

The likelihood is that she does know that it's true deep down but it's just to shocking for her to believe right now give her time and keep communication open and un-accusitory.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:37 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Our children do understand more than we give them credit for. She is i the middle of all of this, I think she needs to understand that you are not only her mom but also a woman and if you in any way shape or form felt in danger, it is your right to protect yourself.

It is regrettable that things got to this point tell her, but you don't regret your decision and would appreciate her support. Explain to her that by principle your duty is to ensure your safety and she can have her own feelings about it but you just wanted to explain her because you understand she is in the middle and you don't want her to take sides, only to know that her parent although not together anymore, still love her and will keep things civilized as much as possible under the circumstances.

It must be difficult for your dd to not feel confused or even resentfult to both of you but that doesn't mean that you should not protect yourself.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:35 AM on May. 21, 2009

• She'll calm down. You said something bad about daddy so she got her panties in a wad. It will be ok soon.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:48 PM on May. 25, 2009

• give her time to chill out
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2010