what ur opinion of home schooling

for me i think that home schooling your kids is huge and major dis service to your children..in middle school alone our children will encounter a minuim of 12 teachers.. even if i was a very intelgent person.. which im not lol.. i could never bring to the table what the variety of teachers of public school can.. im just curious what the moms word was out there on the whole home schooling thing. so lets say 5 teachers in elementry and 12 in middle school.. and a min of four teachers a year in high school which would= 16 .. so at min thats 32 teachers from elementry to high school.. 32 teachers is alot of mind power to the table i cant provide on my own.. i am sahm and my son is still a toddler. i want to be involved and help guide the prof. educdcators..but i know that for me home schooling is dis service. what do u moms think??

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 11:12 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's not for me, my kids go to public school for the reason that I want them to see different colors of kids in life, I want them to learn critical social skills that assist in making them "people persons" for down the road and for equipping them to handle bullies, heartache, friendships, teamwork, etc. Last, I also like having different teachers because each teacher usually went into their area of study because they are passionate about it. I would be terrible at being passionate on Science or politics!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Homeschooling is not for everyone.

I homeschool my kids, but I have also had a very diversified education in mathematics, language, science, history, business, psychology and computer technology. I feel very comfortable teaching my own children. I use an approved curriculum that is advanced compared to the local public school's curriculum.

I also make sure that they are exposed to various social situations with a variety of people. They are very social and are at ease around people of any age. My oldest graduated homeschooled son has a job in a very public position and is very well liked by his customers and his manager. The socialization argument just doesn't fly with me.

Again, homeschooling is not something that would work for every family. I don't expect everyone to do it. I feel that in our area it is the best choice for my children due to the poor school system.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:40 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If I could handle doing it, I would! I can not though, and know that intelligently they would learn better elsewhere, so they go to public school and I supplement here at the house.
    I do not think though that it is a disservice, and more people should look into it, and/or demand more from their school systems.
    ms_mommy_sue

Answer by ms_mommy_sue at 11:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• You're certainly entitled to your opinion on the issue.

I homeschool and I don't think it's doing harm to my kids. There are a lot of misconceptions about homeschooling and you really need to look past that and do the research on it yourself. Look at the statistics. Speak with other homeschooling families. Get to know some real homeschooled kids. It's not a one-size-fits-all method of schooling. For some, it works. For others, it doesn't.

With that said, I know an awful lot of dumb kids and people that were traditionally schooled ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Good answer, Renee.

I've been homeschooling for 6 years, and my kids are thriving both educationally and socially. How do I know? They are both testing much higher than average, and people, including many teachers, are always commenting on how well-educated they are. Socially, they have lots of friends, both homeschooled and public schooled, and are well-liked by people of all ages.

If you don't feel comfortable homeschooling, don't do it. It isn't for everyone. However, for those of us who are willing and able to homeschool, it works great.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:16 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My husband and I have already talked about homeschooling and, for us, it's the only option. I wouldn't trust a school to teach my children. There is too much going on in schools that I don't want my children learning. I honestly think they will be getting a better education with me and my husband being the teachers. They will have more one on one teaching and I feel more than qualified to teach all they need to learn. There are programs out there that you can use if you would feel more comfortable.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 12:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I agree, you would not do well in homeschooling. You do have to want to do it and you are already judgemental on it so I don't think you are capable of it.
    As for us, we love it. See, we know we don't know everything. That is why we are committed to learning as we go and teaching what we learn.
    My kids are awesome. I want to spend time with them. I love to work with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh and what is the purpose of this question? Is it so all us homeschooling hillbillies would know your opinions on OUR way of life? Because as a veteran homeschooler...I just stuck my tongue out at you. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I believe that homeschooling is not for everyone. Every parent is different. I think that parents should definelty be able to provide a well rounded education and not all parents are equipped for that.
    I plan on sending my child to a private or public school.
    I don't think you should be so negative though.
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 1:38 AM on May. 20, 2009

• my brother and i were homeschooled for a year, and don't feel like it was a bad thing for either of us. my brother came out of first grade unable to read (thanks to the FANTASTIC school system where we lived), and my mom had him reading above grade-level in about 3 months. also, my mom connected with other homeschooling parents, put us in activities like we would if we went to public school. so it's not like we didn't get to socialize with anybody.

i guess what i'm saying is it's one of those things that works for some and not for others. if you have the ability to do it and the motivation to keep your kids active outside the home, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "disservice".
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 2:28 AM on May. 20, 2009