Drug help

any one have an epidural and had any negative effects?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no i love mine why
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• omg-its amazing!
    the only negitive effect it gave me was that I cried when the duckys flew away-
    or so I'm told from my hubby and momma Lol!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 11:27 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Mine only took on one side so they had to give me a booster two or three times and then they had to finally re do the whole thing. After that it was okay.

Some of the possible side effects are: headaches, splotchy pain relief (where only parts ofyour body are numb but not the whole thing), or paralysis. The headache and paralysis has in some patients lasted long after the procedure. This is very rare. Most common side effect is a severe headache.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• any affects to the baby???
    Anonymous

• If they give it to you after your 7 cm dialiated yes-the baby could come out lathargic- but they WONT give you one after 7cm-
    its not unhealthy for the baby, it can indirectly effect the baby by causing harm to the mother though-so if you have ANY problems with anisteisa that is about the only way it can hurt the baby
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:03 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I had mine an hour before I gave birth. I regretted mine. The anesthesiologist came in and asked if I wanted it, but I was doing great without it and asked if it could wait. He told me no, he was leaving "Now or never" and the "wonderful" nurse chimed in "It'll hurt later, you'll want it". So I got it. I thought it was working for a little while, then I realized it wasn't and realized my left leg had become numb and I could feel everything else. When my son was born he was lethargic, and the nurse openly said "It's okay, he's just groggy from the epidural". That alone changed my mind forever. I got the stupid thing because I let people scare me into it by listening to the "oh the pain" tactics. The pain wasn't awful at all. There are worse things. (For instance, I'd rather deliver ten kids before I have another ear infection, lmao).
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• our hospital will give you an epi after 7 cm... they will give you one up until the point of pushing. And I would google "epidural" because it is my knowledge (and I am NOT a doctor) that the epidural does NOT cross the placenta because it does not get into your blood stream! Makes logical sense to me... your epi is put directly into your spinal cord it does not go into your blood. So I dont see how it can pass on to the baby
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:30 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm a student Childbirth Educator and I can tell you for a fact that any and ALL anesthetics reach the placenta, no matter where they are destributed. Buy Obstetric Myth vs. Research Realities and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.

"Although the drugs used in epidurals are injected around the spinal cord, substantial amounts enter the mother's blood stream, and pass through the placenta into the baby's circulation. Most of the side effects of epidurals are due to these "systemic", or whole-body effects."

http://www.maternityacupressure.com/epidural-side-effects-and-complications.html

littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:16 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I will never again have an epi. The dr hit my back bone. It's the same as breaking that part of the bone (Drs words not mine). My back hurt on and off for about 2 months. I also know of a woman that had one and became paralyzed from the waist down. The only way I'd have another epi is if they knock me out first. I prefer the pain of child birth over an epi.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 11:36 AM on May. 20, 2009