• In the Spotlight:

how do I handle this?

My 5yr.old will be startn Kindergarden this year in August, and I have a 3yr.old soon to be 4 in July, and they have never ever been apart. They don't go anywhere or do anything without each other, and now that I have my own daycare they are together 24hrs 7days a week. My 5yr.old says shes ready to go to big school, but her sister says she is going to. WHAT CAN I DO to handle this situation. I have talked to them and still is, about the BIG SCHOOL situation, and its not workn.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try taking them to a Vacation Bible School over the summer that they can both attend, but will be in different age groups. The setting will be small and loving and good practice.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 11:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Will your 4 year old be going to preschool or stay home with you? You can try and make the transition better by bringing them both to Kindergarten dropoff?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:40 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Make a big deal about how being 5 is when you get to start school. She will get to go next year, let her know that. Then when school starts, try to do special things with your younger daughter.
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 1:34 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I went through the same thing, when it was time for my older daughter to start school her younger sister got upset at first but then I bought her some ABC & number workbooks to use at home and she was fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:47 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Maybe the suggestions could help me. I having the same problem but it's me that is having a hard time. My DD is my only child and I am a SAHM, she has gone to mother's morning out for the past 2 years but that was only a couple days a week for 3 hours. Kindergarten is all day, 5 days a week. What am I going to do with myself? Sorry I'll stop whining. But you could with your younger one, get her a backpack just like her sister's and get her a notebook and folder. Then but her some workbooks and let her have "school" at home, tell her she will be doing what her big sis is doing just at home. Then when big sis gets home let her be teacher to the younger one and teach her what she learned in school. You could have lunch time, recess, work time, ect.. with the younger one.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:35 AM on May. 20, 2009