Has anyone had Hyperemesis Gravidarum when they were pregnant?

I had severe vomiting and nausea when I was pregnant with both my kids. I was considered high risk pregnancy. I had home IV's for the 1st 7 months of both my kids. I had different docs with both kids and both docs told me to get an abortion. With my last child I vomited so much I injured my esphogues and hadto have my my tubes tied ( I was 20) ( had my first when I was 17). The Doctor I had with my last child was an ass he told my husband I "needed tough love and that it was all in my head". Just wondered if there is anybody ou there with a story like mine.

pytmom3

Asked by pytmom3 at 11:31 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The beginning of my pregnancy I had it. Not to your extent tho. I lost 35lbs from throwing up so much and not being able to eat. I was in the hospital numerous times getting IV fluids for dehydration.
    That doctor who told your husband that is completely ignorant. I have a friend who is 9 weeks pregnant and can't keep anything down and her doctor has CPS watching her because the doctor said she is "purposely" not eating. That is wrong, for you and my friend. I'm so sorry you had to go threw all of that. I can't even imagine how terrible it must feel to have to have your tubes tied at such a young age. I'm 20 and having my first and want to have more in the future, so I can only imagine how you must feel=[
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:40 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes, it was hell. Mine started when I was 5 months pregnant, I had the worst case the high risk Dr's around here had ever seen. I was on IV's at home and TPN. TPN is like a bag of milky calories. I could keep nothing down, not even a sip of water. Didn't matter if I would eat or drink, i was still vomiting non stop. My liver was damaged and failing, I was sent to have my son 9 weeks early, I was told I would need a new liver but miraculously my liver recovered. Another high risk Dr stepped in and would not allow me to be induced 9 weeks early, my primary Ob Dr didnt think we would survive the pregnancy. My husband would tell me it was in my head, my Dr ripped him a new one over that.I was told not to have anymore kids, if I did get pregnant with another boy I would go through the samething. I had a daughter prior to that pregnancy and I didn't have any issues. Because of the pregnancy and TPN my son had a lot of issues and he
    Anonymous

• was very sick. He still has problems. I lived in the bathroom from the time it started until I was induced early. I took a sip of water and I threw up for 2 hours straight. I couldn't go anywhere because I was vomiting non stop, like I said it didn't matter if I would eat or drink I was still vomiting non stop. I had to have a central line put in my chest because the PICC lines in my arms kept getting infected. The surgery for that set off premature labor and I was given 2 shots to stop labor. I also had a 3 year old daughter to take care of then. DH and I decided we wanted another child after we were told not to have anymore kids. My Dr said if I got sick again he'd have no choice but to take the baby. I got pregnant with a little girl. I was sick in the beginning but it went away, thank goodess.
    It is NOT in your head. How insensitive for them to say that. Sorry you went through that hell too.
    Anonymous

• I had a pic line with my first and two with my second also had the tpn and lipids and a sugar bag with a yellow multivitamin injection everyday. It was the worst experience of my life but, I had healthy kids. I was 140 with my first preg all breast and butt 7months I was 117. I looked like some preg. crack head/heroin addict from all the needle marks on my arms and the weight loss. If you are suffering from this right now go to helpher.org/mothers/
    pytmom3

Answer by pytmom3 at 11:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i had it in the begining of this pregnancy it was horrible i have a 1 and 1/2 year old that i could barely take care of i felt like such a bad mother.. but my dr treated it like it was nothing i had lost 15 pounds,and couldnt eat for like a week and a half.. it was horrible..
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 12:48 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Hyperemesis is not clasified by how often you throw up, it is classified by losing more than 10% of our weight and yes, I had it both times and am scared crapless that I will have it again this time. It was sooooo horrible that I was scared to get pregnant again this time. I am just crossing my fingers that it doesnt happen but I know the odds are that it will
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:35 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I lost 20lbs and didn't drive for 4 months. I couldn't keep anything down-including water. I used all the tricks & old standbys...with no results. I used Zofran and that helped, I still threw up just not as often. At 6 months, I was +1lb from my pre-pregnancy weight. I ate every 3 hours & gained 23lbs in the last trimester. I think my husband thought it was in my head at times, but I was like "who would want this?!?" Somehow I managed to make a healthy 8lb 3oz baby boy & had him without drugs--I have tremendous guilt about taking Zofran, even though he didn't suffer any side effects or have problems-there was still the risk he could have, but if I didn't take it he might have survived the pregnancy.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:08 AM on May. 20, 2009

• The different drugs I was on were overwhelming. I had zofran, benadryl ( IV), reglan ( which I'm allergic to) and then to top it all off these things they wanted my to put up my a** which was not happening. The High Risk Doc's were fabulous they helped me a lot. Surprisingly they were men and the woman was the one who suggested "It was all in my head". I know I said he in the original question but, it was a woman. I puked so hard and often with my daughter the placenta ripped from the wall and they put me on steroids to strengthen my stomach muscles or what ever. I chose to block those memories.

pytmom3

Answer by pytmom3 at 12:16 AM on May. 21, 2009