For those that plan on being a SAHM forever...

Arent you worried abou tnot having any work experience. I am all about being a SAHM...I am one. But I think it would be naive to think there is no possibility that something could happen to my husband and I wouldnt have a job to fall back on. Preparing yourself by getting a degree, or at least working part time is protecting yourself. No one goes into a marriage thinking they will divorce...that is silly. But, what if? Those are things you have to think about. If you are out of work for ten years and your husband A. leaves you, B. loses his job, or C. dies and you dont have enough life insuracne...how are you going to support your kids...do you realize how hard it is to get hired after not working for that long?? Just wonderng....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This again here we go I will make a killing on social security and we have a huge life insurance policy

Anonymous

• That's why i'm planning on going back to school. there's nothing i'm really interested in enough to make a career out of it but i know i need something to fall back on if anything ever did happen
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:43 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm sure most SAHM's have a back up plan for emergencies. It is wise... :) as are most SAHM's!!
    Anonymous

• It's a good question. I was only the higher earner for a while before kids and that is a joke! I do worry about it since I've been out of the work place for six years and didn't get a good career off the ground. I had one that supported me but now technologies have changed making my work not something viable to return to. I forced my hubby to get a good life insurance policy though which brought me a little peace of mind for both of us. I still worry about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:45 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I am sorry but I have to laugh at the person who thinks there is actually going to be social security. LOL! I am in my 40's and I don't even expect to see it! This is precisely why you need to get out there and get skills and stop letting your husband do all the work.
    Anonymous

• i think being a sahm is the perfect time to get some schooling in, i became a certified pharmaceutical technician, it was nice having to really think! it was kinda hard. i had to remember A LOT, good thing i kept the books cuz by the time i have to go back to work i will have forgot most of it! ahhh, i would love to go back to school and go for pharmacist...if only i could afford it!
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree a very good life insurance policy is vital. If my hubby dies and leaves me rich, I can choose to go back to school to start a new career once my son is in school...if I choose.

I must also say I have a life insurance policy that will give my hubby enough money to quit his job to take care of our son if I die.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Here's something scary. As a working woman at a decent job, I have had a count of married men approach me. And, I'm not the most attractive either. Yes, I turn them down.
    Anonymous

• I am a SAHM right now. I am also finishing a degree in teaching. My husband has life insurance that is good and we have savings. I have all that to fall back on. I have already decided when my son starts school(kindergarten) I will work as a teacher. We will be in school same time and out of school mostly the same time. Anon 51: My husband does not do all the work. I take care of the home and our son while he is at work. I pay the bills, run errands, grocery shop, etc. We are a team(his words exactly) and we work like a team. The money that comes in is OUR money. Once again his words. We have a joint checking/savings account that I take from when needed and NO I do not have ask for money. By the way, when posting something please use your actual name, not anon. Thanks!

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:12 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Were you the one who posted a similar question the other night? Anyway, I've been a SAHM all my kids' lives but that doesn't mean I want to stay home all MY life. We were going to adopt, but we missed that opportunity so now I want to pursue my own interests in addition to working part-time. I'm a volunteer at the local library and I would like to volunteer in other areas as well. Right now, however, with this economy I believe I need to be earning some money to help pay the bills down.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 12:47 AM on May. 20, 2009